No passthrough digital audio with direct optical connection

vlix

One last thing I don't know if this is a bug or intended or not changeable? When I play a file with DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio, the 5.1 DTS Core is correctly recognized and passed over SPDIF to my Sound System. But when I play a 7.1 DTS-HD MA containing file, this is not happening. Instead I just get 2.0. PCM audio and the DTS core is ignored...what do you need to investigate?

Since the channel count is too high for the connection, it is converting it and, to avoid transcoding we're doing that locally which can only convert to stereo.

Please play this item and send me an app log.

Thanks.

• Like 1

shorty1483

Since the channel count is too high for the connection, it is converting it and, to avoid transcoding we're doing that locally which can only convert to stereo.

Please play this item and send me an app log.

Thanks.

Sent Logs few seconds ago. User Alex. First I played a 7.1 DTS HD track containing the 5.1 core, after that I played a 5.1 DTS HD track containing the 5.1 core. First is not working, second one Works. Both track contain the 5.1 core thta should be bitstreamed to the Audio System via Optical. At least the Samsung App does... Edited by shorty1483

Yes, it is because your system reports 6 as the max channels it can support.  So we are mixing down.  I may be able to ignore the channel count in the case of DTS-HD...

• Like 1

shorty1483

Yes, it is because your system reports 6 as the max channels it can support. So we are mixing down. I may be able to ignore the channel count in the case of DTS-HD...

Will report back when it works, thanks!

Very happy then, so I can just use your great app for all. No more old Samsung App or Kodi fiddling. [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]

Actually, I think it is Exoplayer that is making the choice here as it sees your 7.1 track as incompatible with your system.  I'm not sure if we'll be able to override this but we'll take a look.

• Like 1

shorty1483

Actually, I think it is Exoplayer that is making the choice here as it sees your 7.1 track as incompatible with your system.  I'm not sure if we'll be able to override this but we'll take a look.

Would be quite nice if this would be fixed. Me personally would really consider this as a bug (no matter on what end), since every DTS HD track, even DTS:X contains a DTS 5.1 Core, which is always playable through SPDIF. 

which is always playable through SPDIF. 

That isn't actually true - which is why we have the setting in the app about passing DTS-HD.

shorty1483

That isn't actually true - which is why we have the setting in the app about passing DTS-HD.

Ok, you're right...which is always playable through SPDIF, if the connected device supports 5.1 channel mapping and the DTS/DCA codec.

When I look in my Android TV menu, if SPDIF enabled in device settings, this automatically sets DTS and AC3/EAC3 enabled in audio settings (Dolby and DTS HD Codecs are disabled).

If Emby can retrieve the max channel count from the device, couldn't Emby check what codecs are enabled in audio settings, and if plain DTS is enabled, it just ignores the channel count then, so the 5.1 core of a 7.1 DTS-HD track would be passed to SPDIF?

Edited by shorty1483

Ok, you're right...which is always playable through SPDIF, if the connected device supports 5.1 channel mapping and the DTS/DCA codec.

When I look in my Android TV menu, if SPDIF enabled in device settings, this automatically sets DTS and AC3/EAC3 enabled in audio settings (Dolby and DTS HD Codecs are disabled).

If Emby can retrieve the max channel count from the device, couldn't Emby check what codecs are enabled in audio settings, and if plain DTS is enabled, it just ignores the channel count then, so the 5.1 core of a 7.1 DTS-HD track would be passed to SPDIF?

Optical connections provide no ability to interrogate their capabilities.  That is why that connection was replaced by HDMI.

And the tricky issue here is that Emby is not making the decision about compatibility, the player is.  I'll look into what can be done but it won't be immediate.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Jonas Henrique

Sorry, this hasn't come up again so it hasn't been addressed. We will get there.

Thanks.

I have the same issue, when I use the SPDIF audio in my Mi Box S, the pass-through option is not showed in Emby. My Mi Box S is already updated with android pie and by using SPDIF I can get audio 5.1 from Netflix and Plex. I want to move from Plex to Emby, but the only thing that doesn't allow me to do that, is that pass-through limitation when using SPDIF digital audio.

• 6 months later...
Tolerant

I am new to all this.. got a Bluetooth TX hooked up to my Samsung TV.. works on everything EXCEPT EMby... at least with the newest headphones.. seems to work with "earbuds".  What a pain in the arse..  using Digital Audio cable from TV to the Bluetooth transmitter. Works with earbuds.. but when I spend money on "headphones" .. they work with the TV channel or WDTV Streaming box but not with Emby.. . wtf is going on?!

25 minutes ago, Tolerant said:

I am new to all this.. got a Bluetooth TX hooked up to my Samsung TV.. works on everything EXCEPT EMby... at least with the newest headphones.. seems to work with "earbuds".  What a pain in the arse..  using Digital Audio cable from TV to the Bluetooth transmitter. Works with earbuds.. but when I spend money on "headphones" .. they work with the TV channel or WDTV Streaming box but not with Emby.. . wtf is going on?!

Hi, can you please elaborate? Thanks.

• 4 months later...
shorty1483
On 12/22/2019 at 4:13 PM, ebr said:

Hi @ebr any news on the above? 

Regards :D

shorty1483

nope, not working. Emby still throws out DTS-HD with DTS 5.1 Core as 2 channel PCM over optical. Only difference is that in the nerd statistics stands (software decode) after the audio codec.

Thanks anyways!

18 hours ago, shorty1483 said:

nope, not working. Emby still throws out DTS-HD with DTS 5.1 Core as 2 channel PCM over optical. Only difference is that in the nerd statistics stands (software decode) after the audio codec.

Thanks anyways!

Yeah, optical is going to be a wrinkle here because we are interrogating the HDMI connection for capabilities.  Optical cannot provide us any capabilities.  But the optical connection, I don't think, is going to be able to support sending DTS-HD anyway as the bitrate will be too high.

We are decoding it onboard now to avoid server involvement. 

shorty1483
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Yeah, optical is going to be a wrinkle here because we are interrogating the HDMI connection for capabilities.  Optical cannot provide us any capabilities.  But the optical connection, I don't think, is going to be able to support sending DTS-HD anyway as the bitrate will be too high.

We are decoding it onboard now to avoid server involvementnt. 

I will add the extracted 5.1 core of my DTS-HD tracks as a separate track to my movie files, since theres no solution for this I guess. I don't know how e.g. VLC or Kodi do it, but somehow the Emby App would need to send the core via bitstream to the SPDIF connection, since this is contained in every DTSHD or DTSX track.