What's your favorite Emby Premiere feature?

macv

My normal flow is Windows 10 server -> Roku TV app.

Curious what was the "killer feature" that tipped your decision to get Emby Premiere.

WilhelmStroker

Sync, dvr and emby theater but I mainly got premiere to support the devs, as the level of interaction and support is brilliant.

• Like 1

arche

User Control was always my tipping point. But this was in the Mediabrowser days, alot more has been added since then and I treat Plex like a bat sh*t crazy ex who never got anything right...

arche

What do you do with user control?

Sorry, I mean when adding users, I can add them locally and not have them register with Emby first like Plex does. More control over the users options in the admin panel.

lklein

OTA TV with guide and DVR.

Just wish there was a channel up/down and a last channel button/key.  

Maybe a one click play option in the guide as well.

I tried Emby Theater out of curiosity in Win10.
It gave me some security/permissions.

I googled and it seems I have to edit some registry keys first.

I done my share of reg-editing in the past but why is the installer requiring regedit?

This will scare ppl away.

Edited by macv

I tried Emby Theater out of curiosity in Win10.

It gave me some security/permissions.

I googled and it seems I have to edit some registry keys first.

I done my share of reg-editing in the past but why is the installer requiring regedit?

This will scare ppl away.

Why do you feel the installer requires regedit? What problem did you run into?

mrfragger

My favorite feature is 0% transcoding. I couldn’t figure out how to disable that on Plex so I went with Emby. I never want to transcode nor will I ever. Every video is either mp4 or mkv (preferably). Client is Nvidia Shield TV. I don’t want the server to have to do anything except serve the streaming files.

That’s not saying I have to do a ton of video conversions to x265 though from avi files or some bloated x264 video though. Pretty much non stop encoding for the past 6 months. Almost done though.

Happy2Play

Um, did not you need regedit?

I see this issue has been posted multiple times, here is 1 example:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/59005-security-options-do-not-allow-me-to-install-server/

OT:  Emby does not set this key, Microsoft does.  I know I did not have this issue on my Windows OS, so there are other factors at play with this setting. 

Either way, an installer should not be eventful. (I see people respond quickly in the forums so that's a plus, JMHO on the installer).

My favorite feature is 0% transcoding. I couldn’t figure out how to disable that on Plex so I went with Emby. I never want to transcode nor will I ever. Every video is either mp4 or mkv (preferably). Client is Nvidia Shield TV. I don’t want the server to have to do anything except serve the streaming files.

That’s not saying I have to do a ton of video conversions to x265 though from avi files or some bloated x264 video though. Pretty much non stop encoding for the past 6 months. Almost done though.

How do you disable transcoding?

Sometimes I still get caught with a PGS sub that I didn't know was PGS.

But yea proper transmission was what brought me over from Plex.  Playing with profile files is not worth the $4 I would've saved over Vudu.

mrfragger

But yea proper transmission was what brought me over from Plex. Playing with profile files is not worth the $4 I would've saved over Vudu.

But yea proper transmission was what brought me over from Plex. Playing with profile files is not worth the $4 I would've saved over Vudu.

Under each user I uncheck any transcoding

Only Allow media playback is checked.

Unchecked are:

Allow video that requires transcoding

Allow audio that requires transcoding

Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding.

Any containers avi or m4v or any codecs like MPEG4 or SPV6Fget re-encoded to x265 hevc. Especially re-encode h264 content that is like 2 to 3 times larger than needs to be. Retain same quality but encode to h265 FAST RF 22 and Opus 96kpbs. For subtitles I have open subtitles download nightly SRT subs. It’s was frustrating at first. Also I gave up trying to use Chrome and only use it for music mp3s. So just watch on iPads, iPhones and nvidia shield TVs.