Cannot access server when Internet connection is down

GhostRider
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

GhostRider

My broadband went down today so I thought I would watch a movie from my MediaBrowser server instead.

Unfortunately the MediaBrowser server would not start even though my local network was still working.

Part of the log file that appears relevant is

5-16 17:00:33.6131 Error - App: Error sending anonymous usage statistics.
    The remote name could not be resolved: 'www.mb3admin.com'
    System.Net.WebException

This raises two questions.

1) I would like to run MediaBrowser server even when I don't have Internet access.

2) What are are the "anonymous usage statistics"? Can these be turned off? Most apps have an opt out option.

I am running the server as a service on a WIndows 7 PC.

Server is version 3.0.5233.40306

The issue only occurs when running as a service. I managed to get it going by logging in and starting manually from the user account. Log file attached for further info.

server-63535856409.txt

• Solution

Those are unrelated. If those two http requests fail, the server will handle it, log it, and then continue on happily. 

And that's exactly what happened in your log. No reason you shouldn't be able to use the server, so you should upgrade to the latest version and then provide more information.

• Like 1

GhostRider

Thanks for the quick response.

The server version I have fails to start as a service when the Interconnection is down. I will upgrade over the week-end and simulate no Internet connection by unplugging the cable to the cable modem.

Is there a way to opt out of the "anonymous usage statistics"?

I've run the server on my laptop with no connection (on a plane) many times so something else is going on here.  I don't, however, run as a service.

There is no opt-out on that ping.  It will be critical to some upcoming functionality we have planned.

The only thing we gather is the fact you are running the server, what version it is and what your OS is.  This information is critical to us (since we are a free and open-source program with a limited market) for planning what we apply our very limited resources to.  

• Like 1

GhostRider

I upgraded to server version 3.0.5238.39498. SInce then I have not been able to reproduce this issue so it was either some quirk when it happened before or the latest version doesn't have the issue.

Glad to hear the ping is OK and not some tracking funny stuff. Looking forward to finding out more about the upcoming fucntionality when it is released.

Happy to flag this as closed.