Fire TV Stick 4K unable to play UHD Bluray Rips

morikaweb
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

morikaweb

Every time I attempt to play a UHD/4K Bluray rip in Emby on the Fire TV crashes. These files play fine in my web browser but only plays a minute or two on the stick before Emby crashes. The Server CPU and RAM are not overloaded with the CPU well below redline and plenty of available RAM. This happens on all UHD backups, those that I make myself with MakeMKV and those that I have downloaded to see if my Ripping setup was to blame. I have also tried having the Fire TV on WiFi and Hard Wired.

The server is:

Motherboard: Supermicro - X11SSM-F

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1240 v6 @ 3.70GHz

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400MHZ

Emby 4.0.2.0 is running in a docker on Unraid 6.6.7.

Fire TV Stick 4K version Fire OS 6.2.6.3

Emby Client on the Fire TV is 1.694a

I have attached a copy of the log from my latest playback attempt as well as a text file with the Media File information. I am starting to think the Fire TV stick is simply incapable of playing these files, but any help would be appreciated.

Now You See Me 2 Media Info.txt

Log.txt

Edited by morikaweb

• Solution

You may be right that 56Mb/s is too much for the device (it is spec'd at 21 I believe).  If you set the quality in the app to 20Mb, does the item play?

• Like 1

morikaweb

You may be right that 56Mb/s is too much for the device (it is spec'd at 21 I believe).  If you set the quality in the app to 20Mb, does the item play?

You are right, limiting the quality to 21 Mbps works. I am a bit embarrassed did not think of trying this. Anyways this solution is not very appealing so I am thinking of buying a Shield TV, do you think it will be able to play these files without issue?

You are right, limiting the quality to 21 Mbps works. I am a bit embarrassed did not think of trying this. Anyways this solution is not very appealing so I am thinking of buying a Shield TV, do you think it will be able to play these files without issue?

If the network is up to it, yes.

morikaweb

If the network is up to it, yes.

I bought the Sheild and everything is working fine now without the need to limit the Bitrate. Thanks for your help :)