Can you use a Windows 7 Server to get Netflix on Raspberry Pi?

elsmandino

elsmandino

Hi,

I am currently running a headless Windows 7 Server, which streams video to a Raspberry Pi in my bedroom.

I use Argus TV to do all my recordings and I have Media Browser 3 to constantly monitor this recording folder and add all relevant metadata (and make everything look nice).

I use the Argus TV Plugin for watching Live TV and and the XBMB3C Plugin for recordings.

Everything is great but I really want to watch Netflix on the Pi too.

I know for a fact that you cannot play Netflix natively on a non-Android/Windows device.

Is there any way that I can get the Windows Server to stream Netflix from it to the PI?

Thanks

Macburp

Is there not a Netflix plug-in for XBMC you could use?

Edited by Macburp

elsmandino

Unfortunately, nothing that would work for a device that is not running Android or Windows.

The problem seems to be the lack of Silverlight Support - I did experiment with Linux Mint and a Netflix plugin but it just did not work.

trusselo

Hi,

I am currently running a headless Windows 7 Server, which streams video to a Raspberry Pi in my bedroom.

I use Argus TV to do all my recordings and I have Media Browser 3 to constantly monitor this recording folder and add all relevant metadata (and make everything look nice).

I use the Argus TV Plugin for watching Live TV and and the XBMB3C Plugin for recordings.

Everything is great but I really want to watch Netflix on the Pi too.

I know for a fact that you cannot play Netflix natively on a non-Android/Windows device.

Is there any way that I can get the Windows Server to stream Netflix from it to the PI?

Thanks

all the info you could ever want right here bro.

http://bit.ly/QOsWKl

techywarrior

Now that Mozilla has agreed to support HTML5 DRM (to go along with MS, Apple, and Google) there is a good chance that Netflix's beta HTML5 player will be replacing the Silverlight player sooner rather then later. This will eventually allow you to watch Netflix on the Pi... but that doesn't help you right now.

elsmandino

this is just wrong... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Netflix_compatible_devices

apple, boxee, playstation, smart tvs,ect. ect.

Good point - bit of a sweeping statement I made. 

Should have said that it will not work on Linux.

Now that Mozilla has agreed to support HTML5 DRM (to go along with MS, Apple, and Google) there is a good chance that Netflix's beta HTML5 player will be replacing the Silverlight player sooner rather then later. This will eventually allow you to watch Netflix on the Pi... but that doesn't help you right now.

This looks like a marvellous development - I will keep a close eye on this. 

The one reason I posted specifically on here was that I did read that Plex offered the facility to stream Netflix to its clients.

I was wondering whether this is something that Media Browser might be able to do?

Well Netflix locked down their access and no longer offers a public API.  This means any of these products currently doing this either were previous API users before the lock down, have a business relationship with Netflix or are just doing it illegally through some other means.

So, that means it will be difficult for us to provide any Netflix streaming capability.