Mobile Sync - Terrible Performance?

iamspartacus

iamspartacus

A few questions about Sync transcoding.

1. Does Emby limit the amount of CPU threads used for sync transcodes like Plex does to 1? 
  2. Is it safe to assume that if HW transcoding is enabled it will use the GPU for sync conversions instead of CPU?
  3. Do any of the transcoding settings affect the performance of sync conversions if using HW transcoding?

I ask because I'm seeing DISMAL sync transcoding performance.  I've tried HW transcoding using my GPU and the sync conversion only uses 1% of the GPU while the same sync conversion in Plex uses 10%.  Even if disable HW transcoding and just let my CPU (Threadripper 1950x) do the job, it barely even stresses the CPU at all and i see no change in performance regardless of what speed preset I set transcodes to.

I'm running Emby Server Version 4.0.2.0 in the official docker container.

Edited by iamspartacus

1. Does Emby limit the amount of CPU threads used for sync transcodes like Plex does to 1? 

Hi there, have you explored sync settings on the server ?

1. Is it safe to assume that if HW transcoding is enabled it will use the GPU for sync conversions instead of CPU?
  2. Do any of the transcoding settings affect the performance of sync conversions if using HW transcoding?

Yes and yes, they all apply.

iamspartacus

Hi there, have you explored sync settings on the server ?

Yes and yes, they all apply.

Thank you.  I didn't see that Sync had its own settings I assumed it was in Transcoding.  Thank you that GREATLY sped things up.

iamspartacus

@@Luke, I'm seeing no change in transcoding speed or size of the finished sync file no matter what I set the H264 encoding preset and H264 encoding CRF: to when HW transcoding is set.

Edited by iamspartacus

@@Luke, I'm seeing no change in transcoding speed or size of the finished sync file no matter what I set the H264 encoding preset and H264 encoding CRF: to when HW transcoding is set.

Hardware transcoding does not currently utilize those options.

iamspartacus

Yes, sorry I did. I meant to say the settings do apply to sync conversions.

Got it, no worries thanks for the clarification.  This is still a massive upgrade in terms of sync performance over Plex.