MP4/MKV file splitter recommendations?

andytashiro

andytashiro

Hi all.
I have a few seasons of cartoons for my kids but the episodes are batched together in twos.
So S01E01 and S01E02 are one file.
Is there a decent program that can split them/remove commercials whilst retaining the original quality meaning no trans-coding at all?
I tried MKVtoolnix but ran into problems when it flat out refused to edit at exactly 11mins and instead kept saving at 11:02 causing a brief startup of the next episode.
I am on Mac but have access to Windows PC so either platform is fine.
Any/all recommendations greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by andytashiro

Happy2Play

If I remember correctly I used MKVCutter as I had the same issues with not being able to split at exact timestamps.

Edited by Happy2Play

andytashiro

For mkv, mkvtoolnix

This is what I used and even though I set the timestamp it would always cut at 2 sec later for certain files. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I remember correctly I used MKVCutter as I had the same issues with not being able to split at exact timestamps.

Thanks, I'll check into this.

pwhodges

Note that the split won't necessarily be exactly where you expect, because it will be made at the next keyframe.

andytashiro

Note that the split won't necessarily be exactly where you expect, because it will be made at the next keyframe.

Yes this is the problem I was having.

The episode would be from 00:11:00 - 00:22:00 yet I the cut would start a few seconds late.

No matter how much I tinkered with it (starting from 00:10:58 etc... nothing would change.