TVG-Name as Guide Info When no Guide Data Exists

EODCrafter

EODCrafter

Hi Emby:

Is there any way to make tvg-name carry over as Guide Listing when there is no EPG Info for a channel?

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="1001" tvg-ID="" tvg-name="Event 2: UFC 236: Holloway vs. Poirier 2 Pre-Show"

5cb1bd490901c_Capture.png

• Like 1

Unless I misunderstand what is being asked for, Emby doesn't do this, nor should it probably due this.

Many M3U files use dedicated channels for SPECIFIC EVENTS as he showed.   So there will never be an EPG SOURCE with this information.

Emby won't create EPG data from an M3U file but only from the XML/EPG source.

In order to be able to setup a recording for this even in Emby you would need to create an EPG source for this EVENT CHANNEL.  You could either do some scripting/programming yourself for this or use xTeVe and assign a dummy EPG source with 30 minute increments.

With the xTeVe 30 minute approach you can now schedule a recording and adjust the length of the recording using padding.

There is likely other ways this could be done but the xTeVe/dummy EPG approach is probably the best way if I understood what you were asking for.

If Emby allowed us to manually setup a recording strictly on time (ie 9 pm to 1 am) then you could setup a recording with no EPG data and would be able to SEARCH for the channel name.  Not elegant but would be a bit more functional.

If this wasn't what you were asking then I apologize for mucking up the waters.  LOL

Edited by cayars
  • Like 2

I thought the question was about using tvg-name as the name of the Channel, and that's what i meant when i said we already do that.

EODCrafter

It would be nice to show the name of the channel in the Guide....Hard to navigate without knowing channel name...As shown above it's blank :( It's no issue on the Server interface/browser but Emby apps can't hover over that name like that. BTW, you can't edit this M3U @@Luke, it gets updated several times a day @@Sammy

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 2

EODCrafter

I figured it out...xTeVe @@marmei to the Rescue again! Marmei / xTeVe is Awesome! I used a m3u Grab/and some CUID (Unique ID) magic that auto updates every hour!

5cb25cb89120c_Capture.png

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 2

I figured it out...xTeVe @@marmei to the Rescue again! Marmei / xTeVe is Awesome! I used a m3u Grab/and some CUID (Unique ID) magic that auto updates every hour!

5cb25cb89120c_Capture.png

That's exactly what I though you were after.  That's cool as hell EODCrafter!

Care to share your implementation?  I'm sure this would be extremely helpful to many others as well.

Where did you get the time from?  Time wasn't in the original example you showed.

PS I've made the same comment about needing the station/channel NAME to show as well in the grid. Something more like:

5cb2ee793ce90_grid.png

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

BTW, EODCrafter, I never mentioned how I typically handle these types of things.  Since the events are usually "throw away" or links specific for a particular sporting event I usually set these up to record outside of Emby.

I just setup an ffmpeg grab/recording using the duration in seconds to record and substitute the link for the "-i" (input parameter) on the ffmpeg command line.  Then I just schedule this as a task in Windows Task Manager.  I only use these types of "event channels" a couple times a month so this has worked out well for me as I don't have to have them loaded in the EPG Grid this way as I already have to many channels there and didn't want additional channels without EPG info showing up.

I've also recently thought about using Next PVR or TVHeadend for these types of channels as you can setup recordings based on time (not using EPG data).  But I may try doing this your way.  I might just have these channels on my "test" system vs my production system but doing it this way would still easily allow full client use of the channels and being able to watch and record while it's live.  Worse case is I need to switch servers in the Emby client which is no big deal.

You've got me thinking now!

carlo

• Like 1

EODCrafter

It's just a simple Script File for m3u grab and adding CUID to Emby...I have all my work Published Here....My Github....Instead of adding Channel Number as my script shows, just add CUID, or what xTeVe sees as "Unique ID" so it won't deactivate in xTeVe, the Channel, when the Name Changes to reflect a New "Live Event"

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1 cuid="50" tvg-chno="1000" tvg-ID="" tvg-name="Event 1: Golf: Augusta National Masters - Final Round 9AM ET" tvg-logo="https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/654018346078367746/1VU4-ax__400x400.jpg" group-title="Live Events",Event 1: Golf: Augusta National Masters - Final Round 9AM ET

As you can see here, compared to above....Event 1 does have a New Name for today...Normally that would deactivate the Channel in xTeVe but Wullah!.

5cb30155b1b0e_Capture.png

One thing that shows up and must be activated is a new feature when Channels have a CUID...It's called "Auto Update Name", and must be "tic'ed"

5cb301c6204ba_Capture1.png

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 2

CBers

I'm sure this will all be included in the Channel Management enhancements that Luke is working on and due out this year.

• Like 3

I'm sure this will all be included in the Channel Management enhancements that Luke is working on and due out this year.

Hopefully that's the case.  Even if it doesn't get this elegant if we could EASILY see the channel name and be able to set manual recordings based SOLELY on time the problem would be more or less solved for the majority of people.

I do like EODCrafters approach very much however for the GRID aspect BUT wonder what this does for listings showing up multiple times under the PROGRAM tab (web)?  I wouldn't want to see the event show up 100 times for example which I could see easily happening this way.  EODCrafter, have you checked this yet?

I had thought about building an EPG XML file just for these channels pulling the data as you did from the M3U file BUT my intention was to only create an EPG entry for the actual time slot of the event.  I have no idea how Emby would handle this in the grid but would think it would be more friendly to searching for the event or how the event shows up in the PROGRAMs tab mentioned above.

EODCrafter

I refreshing the guide Manually as we speak, I will post SS as soon as it's done.....I have this as a scheduled task 4 times a day and that should be sufficient but I went ahead and forced one to share how it will show up in the Grid.Yea, I'm sure also Luke will implement all this in a "future update".

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

EODCrafter

It would be nice to "focus" the Refresh just on this particular Grid Area (I have them as 500-519) but it's all loaded as 1 m3u right now so it refreshes everything which takes 5-10 Minutes :(

5cb303f99b9ca_Capture.png

Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

The "Ideal" way to handle this is run another instance of xTeVe, so this will be a separate m3u and not need to update all the guide data.

P.S. What Time were you talking about? ....The Time is input by the use of xTeVe "Dummy" Guide which has various Time Selections.....

Edited by EODCrafter

It would be nice to "focus" the Refresh just on this particular Grid Area (I have them as 500-519) but it's all loaded as 1 m3u right now so it refreshes everything which takes 5-10 Minutes :(

I'll trade you:

5cb305041cc7f_RefreshGuide.png

I've slimmed down my channels and duration of days to get this low.  I was at 56+ minutes previously!

PS I like your idea of only updating certain EPGs and not all of them MANUALLY or by SCHEDULED TASK.

I could surely use this functionality myself!

• Like 1

EODCrafter

Refresh Done!, Here is what Shows up in the Grid now......Works like a Charm!

5cb30633717e9_Capture.png

That looks good in the grid.

Did you check to see if you are getting a bunch of duplicate entries in the PROGRAM section under Live TV yet?

That's what worries me.

EODCrafter

Doesn't show anything under that because, I guess, it's not real Guide Data.....

5cb3079b0c534_Capture.png

EODCrafter

I'll trade you:

5cb305041cc7f_RefreshGuide.png

I've slimmed down my channels and duration of days to get this low.  I was at 56+ minutes previously!

PS I like your idea of only updating certain EPGs and not all of them MANUALLY or by SCHEDULED TASK.

I could surely use this functionality myself!

You would Definitely Need to run another instance of xTeVe and have this as a separate m3u. these Live Channels are updated a lot, and there is no way you could refresh as much as you need to.

Oh, but wait...You can't schedule a task to only update 1 m3u, can you?....Feature Request......

Edited by EODCrafter

I'm actually not using xTeVe at present.  The channel number assignments cause to many problems with Emby's auto matching (falling back to using channels numbers).  When @@marmei gets the option I requested to set the starting number of all channels assigned in xTeVe then I'll be able to use it.

Right now xTeVe/Emby combo is troubling because if you use Emby's guide data for a satellite or cable provider the numbers will often go up to 2000 (give or take) so if you have channels assigned by xTeVe lower than 2000 (in my case) then Emby will use it's "auto magic" and FOOBAR my EPG matching channels based on NUMBER and not STATION ID.

Once xTeVe can be set to start channel number at a user specified number this problem will go away.  I for example could start these channels at 2000 or 2500 and avoid this "auto magic".  Then Emby would match on STATION ONLY and the channel numbers would never trip things up.  I could always MANUALLY set channel numbers in xTeVe to a lower number so that it does auto-match but I would control this.

I do have xTeVe loaded and I play with it a lot and have 4 different M3U files loaded and 4 EPGs. But my problem is the slightest change to filters or adding/changing an provider puts me back in "channel hell".

HOWEVER, I could use xTeVe and your technique specifically for this and only this (until I can set starting channel number) and then run these "event" channels on a different Emby server.  Since it would only contain these channels and the simple EPG it could be updated hourly or every couple of hours.  I was previously thinking of using my "test" machine for this but then it wouldn't be strictly my "test" machine.  I could probably install and use Emby Server on one of my Shield TVs and use this strictly for these events type channels.  Don't see why I couldn't do that.  I just need to pick up a fast 128+ GB thumb drive to use with it or other USB3 drive for storage/transcoding.

Hmm, might also be a good way to have a couple of dozen backup channels as well this way for important channels.

Now you got me really thinking!

EODCrafter

Yea, I don't find the "Emby Guide" to be useful or Practical at all. I want the Channels Numbered the way I like, not Numbered so they Match the Gracenote Guides.....Not sure why this was thought to be a good idea, but I can't Imagine much thought was given to IPTV in that process as usaul.

Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

I have ~500 channels in XTeVe/Emby and the guide refresh takes around 4 minutes.

I have a Crappy Computer because of my Financial situation...I'm sure your System is awesome.

• Like 1