Playback Error No compatible streams are currently available

FredFrin

FredFrin

Hi all,

Version 4.0.2.0 (official docker).

I'm getting the dreaded 'No compatible streams available' msg when trying to play back

flac audio from a particular couple of CD rips.

Enabling / disabling transcoding makes no difference. I've triple-checked perms, they

are the same as neighbouring dirs & files.

Playing the same files via vlc works fine.

Emby-server restart does not help.

Music lib deletion & re-creation does not help.

Hence I suspect something in the Media File. Search log for track name '01 - Fidgety Feet.flac'.

Logs attached:

- server log

- hardware detection log - some errors in this - not sure if they're relevant.

- gzipped trac

Any thoughts?

thx!!

Fred

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection.log

01 - Fidgety Feet.flac.gz

FredFrin

At present I'm only running in browsers (I don't trust 3rd party Android devices such as my FireTV or mobile & confine them to my Guest Lan - still looking for a way to make emby avail to them ... tips welcome - but that's a different issue).

Hence I've only tested with these browsers on Linux Mint - & no emby clients:

- Chromium 73.0.3683.75

- Chrome     71.0.3578.98

- Firefox       66.0.1

I just tried inspecting the browser console while requesting the problem trac & saw this:

playbackmanager playback error type: mediadecodeerror

However a large volume of other flac content plays without issue.

FredFrin

Ok - solved, though I'm not 100% why: It's related to ID3 tags, it seems there were some tags in these files

which rendered them invalid to the browser for some reason.

I noticed that a Linux 'file' command for a broken file yielded:

promt> file '01 - Fidgety Feet.flac' 
01 - Fidgety Feet.flac: Audio file with ID3 version 2.3.0, unsynchronized frames, contains:FLAC audio bitstream data, 16 bit, stereo, 44.1 kHz, 6396264 sample

I opened this file in the picard tag editor, set Options -> Options -> Tags -> Before Tagging: Remove ID3 tags from FLAC files

and saved the file. Repeating the Linux file command I now see:

promt> file '01 - Fidgety Feet.flac' 
01 - Fidgety Feet.flac: FLAC audio bitstream data, 16 bit, stereo, 44.1 kHz, 6396264 sample

Now the file plays in the browser (loading via file:///....) and when I placed this back into my emby music library location, it also plays in the browser within the emby app.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info !

I was already aware of Firefox having issues with these id3 tags, but that is troubling to hear that Chrome is doing the same thing. That means we might have to add detection for this and force transcoding of these files.

Do you by chance happen to have one of the originals that i can test with? Thanks!

FredFrin

Yes, the gzipped broken file is attached to my original post.

I processed many files - and this occurs relatively rarely, but I have seen it on more than one CD rip, 

and in each case ALL the tracks were affected. I also started adding tags using picard / kid3.

One suspicion is that there may be tags of different versions within the same file, and that the

remove tags option I set in picard removes these.

Another oddity I noted was that within picard, there were 2 expandable tag lists - the first was

empty, the second had the word 'Vorbis' next to the tag expansion control.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info. For me the file is playing back OK in Chrome 74 beta, but not in Firefox.