Only playing back audio in stereo?

bigc55

bigc55

I've finally got Emby set up.  I have the app on my Sony Android TV.  When i stream a movie it only plays back in stereo not the audio format the movie is in.

Am i missing something?  is there a setting i need to adjust?

Thanks

Hi.  What kind of audio equipment do you have connected and how?

What are the audio settings in the TV itself?

bigc55

I have Denon equipment. When I play other shows from other apps through the TV (i.e., Hulu or Netflix the system automatically changes to the correct spelling format. No matter what I try to play through emby it refers to stereo

... and how?

What are the audio settings in the TV itself?

Also, exactly what kind of audio are we talking about here?

bigc55

TV is connected from the digital optical out to the digital optical in on the receiver.  I have the TV set to use external receiver.  There are three options for sending audio to the external receiver.  

The first one is Auto 1 (Output compressed audio without change) - This is the one that is selected.

The second is Auto 2 (Output only compressed audio for multi-channel content without change

The third is PCM (Always output in PCM)

I'm trying to play Movies from my server that have audio in 5.1 DD, etc.

The shows/movies/etc. from Hulu or Netflix that are listed as 5.1 automatically switch the receiver to the correct output.

Can you please provide a specific example?  Details of the item being played.

Optical cable is very limited in its capabilities.  For instance, DD+ cannot pass over it.

You might also try option number 2 in your TV's settings.

Finally, confirm that you didn't change the app audio setting to "Downmix" instead of "Auto" (in Playback settings).

bigc55

Thanks for all the input.  Checked all that out.

The item I'm trying to play, as an example, is the movie BumbleBee which should be DD 5.1.  On the Android TV app, the receiver indicates Stereo.  When I play it through the Fire TV Cube (connected via HDMI) it indicates DD 5.1.  And, as I've stated before, other Movies that I play from Netflix or Hulu that indicate the audio is DD 5.1 through the Android TV using the digital optical out, play the audio as indicated and the receiver shows DD 5.1.

I really think it's a "glitch" in the Android TV app.  The app works fine (and sends the right audio) on my Fire TV cube.  Checked, double check and triple checked all settings. 

Did all your suggestions too.

Any additional thoughts?  If anyone else is reading this, have you experienced this issue with the Android TV app?

Thanks for all your help.  It's greatly appreciated.

Brendon

@@ebr not sure what's happened but my Shield has stopped playing AAC 5.1 as well, it was fine a few days ago now everything is stereo. Shield > Reciever (via HDMI).

EDIT: I just went into the app settings and cleared embys cache and movies started playing surround again.

Edited by Brendon

EDIT: I just went into the app settings and cleared embys cache and movies started playing surround again.

That would lead me to believe that you had changed a setting that was affecting this.  Clearing the data reset to defaults.

Brendon

That would lead me to believe that you had changed a setting that was affecting this.  Clearing the data reset to defaults.

The only setting that has been changed since buying and setting up the shield was when you asked me to turn logging on and send as well as when you told me to turn off 'New Season Premieres' due to a previous issue, nothing else has changed mate.

Did you happen to re-start the device as well?

I have one receiver that my son is always switching the HDMI cable to his PC on and, if I start the receiver when the Shield is not connected, and then connect the Shield, the proper audio capabilities are not discovered by the system.  It could have been something like this (not necessarily because anything was disconnected but perhaps just a start up order thing) as well.

bigc55

Sorry for the delayed response.  Where do I find the area to clear the cache that was mentioned?  in the App on my Android TV or in the server? Haven't been able to find it.

Thanks.

CBers

Where do I find the area to clear the cache that was mentioned? in the App on my Android TV or in the server?

App on your Android TV.

CBers

Could you point me to it please. Not seeing where it is

Sorry, don't have a Sony Android TV, but it'll be in the settings of your TV somewhere.

Look for APPS, find Emby and clear cache.

Alternatively, uninstall the app and reinstall it. It does the same thing.

I am having the same issue as well.  did u find the solution?  I am having a sony android tv and a Yamaha 7.1 Receiver. 

Please do let me know if u find any solution

Sorry, don't have a Sony Android TV, but it'll be in the settings of your TV somewhere.

Look for APPS, find Emby and clear cache.

Alternatively, uninstall the app and reinstall it. It does the same thing.