News Crawl Blurred

spuleckip

spuleckip

Hi,

I’ve had Emby setup since November and am loving it. I’ve been putting it through the paces and think it may get spouse approval to replace traditional cable tv.

I have OTA channels coming in through an HD Homerun and noticed something odd today. The news crawl at the bottom of the screen is blurred. I also noticed some motion blur on a show recorded from OTA.

If I use the channels app on my Apple TV, the crawl is clear and readable. I also tested on my fire tv stick and when watching through Emby, the crawl was blurred there as well. The server dashboard says direct stream for both Apple TV and Fire Stick. When on the fire stick though, stats for nerds says Player: ExoPlayer Play Method:Remux Stream Type: HLS Bitrate:20.38 Mbps Transcode speed: 30.00 fps

Is there something I can do to get the crawl readable? Any help/advice is appreciated.

spuleckip

p.s. The blur is when the crawl is moving. When it first comes on it is clear until it starts scrolling.

Hi, the android tv app has a setting to force server-side deinterlacing with transcoding. This could be used to improve interlacing artifacts, if that's what you're seeing.

As far as apple tv goes, we are working on improving playback of interlaced content, and hopefully a setting will not be needed. Thanks.

But shouldn't the fire tv stick do the deinterlacing like other Android Apps?

But shouldn't the fire tv stick do the deinterlacing like other Android Apps?

It does if you turn off the option to do it on the server (off by default for HD).  How good that is is another question though...