UNC folder shares vs network shares

Go to solution Solved by Koleckai Silvestri,

Maybe a big noob question: What is the advantage of using UNC folder shares i.s.o. network shares? 

Not sure what you are calling a "network share" because I would say that is synonymous with UNC path... 

With network share I mean: directories I share within a workgroup like "\\MULTIMEDIA\movies", which is accesable by every pc that is part of the workgroup. If this is called something else, than excuse me for using the wrong term :-). But making these kind of shares seems to be different to how a UNC folder share is made (like describe here). 

With network share I mean: directories I share within a workgroup like "\\MULTIMEDIA\movies"

That is a UNC path.  i.e. \\machinename\sharename

• Solution
Koleckai Silvestri

Same thing... Only difference in the linked version is the $ at the end of the share name. All that does is hide the share from Network Browsing. It doesn't change the actual share or its permissions though. You can create your shares via "net share" at the command line if you wished as well. The graphical method is easier for less technical people.

UNC simply means Universal Naming Convention. You would want to use that i.e. (\\Machine-Name\path\to\media) instead of mapping a share to a drive letter. With UNC, you don't need to know where the actual device is.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 1

Ah, thank you all for clearing this out for me!

And yes, I am one of those less technical people w.r.t. network things  ;)