Emby Guide Data vs. Schedules Direct

wayloncovil

wayloncovil

Is there any reason I should use Schedules Direct over Emby Guide Data as my TV Guide Data Provider?

Thanks!

If you are using the guide data inside Emby (not via another DVR and using a plugin) and live in a region supported, such as USA, CA, UK then there is likely no reason to not use the built in Guide Data to save you $.

If you are using Next PVR, TVHeadend or similar dedicated DVR and then using an Emby plugin then you likely would want to keep Schedules Direct since it's populating your source DVR.

Really all depends on your setup and where you live.

simonselmer

I want to set up Emby server on Synology NAS, and want to use DVR and TV Guide from my HDHomeRun.

I'm in Denmark, so my only option to get TV Guide data, seems to be from Schedules Direct, correct?

I have not used it before, and I would like ask if you can say what should I select in "Soft you use" in this site https://www.schedulesdirect.org/signup

Spaceboy

I want to set up Emby server on Synology NAS, and want to use DVR and TV Guide from my HDHomeRun.

I'm in Denmark, so my only option to get TV Guide data, seems to be from Schedules Direct, correct?

I have not used it before, and I would like ask if you can say what should I select in "Soft you use" in this site https://www.schedulesdirect.org/signup

well emby doesn’t provide data for Denmark but there are a number of other options of which SD is one.

Personally I use epg123 to download the epg daily on schedule. You can just point emby at the output.

• Like 1

Sammy

I have not used it before, and I would like ask if you can say what should I select in "Soft you use" in this site https://www.schedulesdirect.org/signup

Download and install epg123 then choose epg123 for schedules Direct. Set up epg123 to create an XML TV file then direct MB to use that file for guide data.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

simonselmer

No, Emby cannot provide the data, but in Emby when setting up TV Guide data, I get the option to use either "XmlTV" OR "Schedules Direct", which is a service to obtain tv guide data, and THEY support Denmark.

But my question is which data format to select from their list?

About setting up the epg123, can that be done on the Synology NAS or does it require a PC?

Sammy

You can set up epg123 server on a Windows PC then run the epg123 client on your NAS.

Sammy

You can set up epg123 server on a Windows PC then run the epg123 client on your NAS.

Correction...

Epg123 is written for Windows so the nass probably cannot run the client. In this case run both the server and the client on a Windows PC then point MB to the path location of the XML TV file created by epg123.

simonselmer

Thank you for the idea. I'm am however already running a XMLTV service for my MediaPortal, but I'm trying to see if it would be possible to run everything on the NAS only and avoid having a PC running. I could of course create a virtual server on the NAS, install Windows on that, and let that be the xmltv server/client.

Isn't Schedules Direct any good, since evrybody points to some kind of xmltv service instead?

Spaceboy

Thank you for the idea. I'm am however already running a XMLTV service for my MediaPortal, but I'm trying to see if it would be possible to run everything on the NAS only and avoid having a PC running. I could of course create a virtual server on the NAS, install Windows on that, and let that be the xmltv server/client.

Isn't Schedules Direct any good, since evrybody points to some kind of xmltv service instead?

xmltv /epg123 is the method of obtaining the data from schedules direct

But yes it has to run on a windows pc

Edited by Spaceboy

simonselmer

Yes and no. Schedules Direct does not require epg123 or any other additional application. Schedules Direct CAN provide the data directly to the Emby server.

I have now tested Schedules Direct. I wasn't sure if it had any impact which software I would tick off when creating a user, which is why I asked.

I created a user-account, then in Emby server settings under Live TV, under TV Guide Provider, here I selected Schedules Direct, then in next step added my credentials to my account.

And bom, that was it. Emby started importing tv guide data.

I needed however to re-match the guide data to the correct channels, and I still have to validate how good and up2date the data is, but it was easy and seems to work and all without the middle-step of having a PC as the xmltv server.

However I do know that Schedules Direct costs a yearly fee, so of course thats' the downside. But my goal is to see if I can run Emby server on NAS as standalone, and now I'm one step closer to that :)

Edited by simonselmer

Sammy

Version 4.0.3.0

I don't have the option to use SchedulesDirect in that version.

BTW, when I checked it does have a selection for Denmark but whether there's listings available or not I do not know.

Maybe @@Luke or @@ebr can clarify.

simonselmer

As I wrote yesterday I have now tested it and it works :)

My initial question was about when creating an account with SD, if it made any difference which software you select. 

But I'm pass that now.