35 replies to this topic

#21 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11241 posts
  • Local time: 10:51 PM

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:40 PM

In the bottom screenshot of the stats, you have it at a standard resolution, hwa is being used but you have display sync, enabled. Try turning that off. I'm gonna take a much closer look at this, tonight. Just to make sure, you aren't using an mpv.conf, correct? And you installed directly from the Emby site and haven't used a different mpv build?

#22 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11241 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:47 PM

It's actually very easy to test mpv directly, and see if the problem lies there. In the Theater installation directory, look for the mpv folder, in there you'll see mpv.exe, double click and drag a movie on it. It will play. Double click again to maximize it. And see what happens.

#23 TrishyMouse OFFLINE  

TrishyMouse

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:49 PM

Oh hey, I just noticed you've got your display at a non standard resolution. And there's no hardware acceleration. That's some odd upscaling. Can you try changing your resolution to something standard. What GPU do you have? Is this a gaming rig?

The nonstandard resolution I think you're seeing is one set of logs and captures came from my laptop.  The problem persists on our other machines, desktop class connected to either 1080P or 4K TV screens so its not upscaling on the 1080P screen system.  The laptop I'm on has an nVidia GTX1050 GPU (this one is defaults, not setup for acceleration, the Xeon desktop has an nVidia GTX 960 GPU (this one drives our 4K TV), the laptop that drives the screen in the bedroom is using the Intel i5 on CPU GPU (this one drives our 1080P TV).

I've tried different acceleration settings on the Xeon desktop, it didn't make a difference.

#24 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11241 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:55 PM

The thing with mpv is that just because you turn something on, doesn't always mean it's actually being used. If the conditions aren't met, it will silently disable some things. This is an interesting problem. Tonight I will dig into what is happening. And I'll may have you change some things and test. mpv has had many updates that aren't in theater yet. But we'll look at that, later.

#25 TrishyMouse OFFLINE  

TrishyMouse

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:01 PM

Have you tried turning off interpolation and/or going back to defaults?

I have tried turning off interpolation, no effect on the problem.  I've even tried the nuking from orbit approach, reinstall Windows 10 from scratch(applied all updates) and run with a fresh default setting install of EMBY Theater. Still no love playing back our MP4's.  One thing that's bugging me is it used to work, same machines, same mp4 files.  Somewhere something changed and haven't been able to pin it down, something Microsoft did in and update?  Something changed in EMBY Theater for Desktop?  For a second I was going to include nVidia however one of the machines is only running an Intel on CPU GPU and it has the MP4 problem too.

#26 TrishyMouse OFFLINE  

TrishyMouse

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

The thing with mpv is that just because you turn something on, doesn't always mean it's actually being used. If the conditions aren't met, it will silently disable some things. This is an interesting problem. Tonight I will dig into what is happening. And I'll may have you change some things and test. mpv has had many updates that aren't in theater yet. But we'll look at that, later.

Thank you, that seems like a good target for the moment (mpv).

#27 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11241 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:05 PM

Did you see post #22

#28 TrishyMouse OFFLINE  

TrishyMouse

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:30 PM

How have you configured video settings in the app?

I have tried various video settings without improvement.  Different combinations of acceleration, display refresh rates, video syncing on/off, open GL, interpolation.  Have not changed the scaling methods from auto.

#29 TrishyMouse OFFLINE  

TrishyMouse

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

It's actually very easy to test mpv directly, and see if the problem lies there. In the Theater installation directory, look for the mpv folder, in there you'll see mpv.exe, double click and drag a movie on it. It will play. Double click again to maximize it. And see what happens.

That was a very good test.

I tried two methods, coping the file to local PC then dropping it on MPV and I also tried directly dropping an MP4 file from the network share to MPV, both methods played cleanly.  Also things like full screen and windowed, still clean.

#30 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11241 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:53 PM

Ok, so that rules mpv out. How have you added the file location on the library setup?

#31 TrishyMouse OFFLINE  

TrishyMouse

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:15 PM

Ok, so that rules mpv out. How have you added the file location on the library setup?

One the physical server using the servers local drive letters.

Please see attached example

Attached Files

#32 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11241 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

Try using the network address.

#33 TrishyMouse OFFLINE  

TrishyMouse

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:57 PM

Try using the network address.

Such as //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ShareName/Folder?

#34 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11241 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:28 PM

Whatever is says in explorer.

#35 TrishyMouse OFFLINE  

TrishyMouse

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

So I tried adding the IP network path to the "Shared Network Folder" field but have not seen any improvement with the mp4 playback problem.  I have not yet tried removing the local drive letter path and using only the IP address share path.  I attached a snapshot of the config for the library with most of the mp4's and the IP configured in case I should be doing something differently.

#36 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11241 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:32 AM

No screenshot. Did you use the address from Windows explorer?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MP4, EMBY Theater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users