Making MKV files with 2 video files for emby

jackelofnar

jackelofnar

If not allowed please delete.

I am trying to work out how to create a mkv file that will contain a 4k and 1080p 

I have tried to add by using mkvtoolnix but it cannot deal with adding 1080p video source to a 4k rip which are huge.

any advise?

Deathsquirrel

Emby doesn't currently support both video  streams in the same MKV container.  You'll need separate containers for each version.

awdspyder

Be aware that the results of this are somewhat of a mixed bag.  Currently, playback functionality of this type of configuration works well - you'll see a dropdown for each item with multiple versions, which is much improved with recent updates to some apps.  This is an example of how I currently name these types of items:

Example Folder Structure

Blah\Movies\Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle (2017)\

Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle (2017) - HD.mkv

Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle (2017) - UHD.mkv

Then the versions appear very succinctly as shown here.  You could also use 2K/4K or 1080p/2160p after the dash - it's your preference.  Whatever you put after the final dash will be what shows up in the dropdown.

5ca8d96134173_Versions.jpg

However, Cover Art is a bit of hit or miss at this point.  Until some logic is defined so that the highest resolution version always wins, some multi-versions will show up with BD covers, while some will show up with 4K UHD covers. 

More importantly to me (though the cover art is really jacking up my OCD), this interferes with filtering.  It's important to note that for filtering purposes, if the BD version wins, the title will show in the HD filter but not the 4K, if the UHD version wins, the title will show in the 4K filter, but not the HD.  This is really going to matter when title counts return (Soon? Please?), as the counts will not be accurate when filtering for either resolution.

Now, there is a workaround for the cover art, which is to add the tag for "ca-uhd" for titles with both HD and UHD versions that appear as HD.  This will force the Cover Art plugin to use the UHD cover.  Though this fixes the cosmetic issue, the title will still be seen as an HD title upon filtering (due to the resolution stored in the database), albeit with a 4K UHD cover.  Of course, you can filter by the tag "ca-uhd" now, but for all UHD titles to appear in the filter, one must add the tag even for the 4K UHD titles that are showing up correctly as UHD.

Does anyone have another workaround that I'm missing?

Edited by awdspyder