DVR Recordings Creating Two "Versions" in Library

astephon88

astephon88

I am currently running server version 4.0.2.0 with the DVR configured to store TV Series and Movie recordings in custom locations. When DVR recordings are added to the library, it appears to be inserting two merged versions into the database. This was first noticed in the Android TV app as there are two versions available for selection in the Version drop down on the show info screen. The first version is named "S<season#>E<episode#> - <Episode Name>" from the file name of the recording, and the second version is a truncated episode name. When selecting the second version, there are no associated media streams (auido, video, subtitles, etc) and fails to play.

When looking at the page for the episode on the web client, I do not have the option to select the versions, but the detailed media info at the bottom of the page shows fully populated entries for the first version, a horizontal divider, and the truncated episode name with no detailed media info.

Performing a library scan does not remove the second version. The only way to remove it is to move the episode out of the library folder, and back in. Functionally, it hasn't seemed to cause an issue, but it is a bit of a nuisance to have a bogus version in the web and Android TV UI's. I also can see this leaving stale entries in the database, since it's a library member without an associated media file. 

I'd be happy to provide additional configuration information, logs, etc. I'm trialing a switch from Plex, so I'm not yet sure what all information is helpful for debugging in Emby.

astephon88

Attached are the logs That contain the recording of "Law & order Special Victims Unit S20E19 Dearly Beloved.ts" and screenshots of the media info page showing a version titled "Law & order Special Victims Unit S20E19 Dearly Beloved" with the full media info, and a version titled "Dearly Beloved" with no media info. The recording began at 02:00:00. I'm currently at work, so I don't have access to my Android TV device to get a screenshot of that. Interestingly, there were several other recordings during this log period that didn't get the second version.

post-110264-0-53084200-1554481375_thumb.png

post-110264-0-78485200-1554481376_thumb.png

Log.txt

Edited by astephon88

astephon88

For this particular recording, "Law & order Special Victims Unit S20E19 Dearly Beloved.ts" is the only file in the directory.

Spaceboy

So this is the same as was reported several months back. Then it was specifically in relation to android tv. The issue has never been fixed, it’s just with the new ATV design the fact that emby reports duplicate recordings is better hidden from the eye

If you remove the parent folder from your library, then run a full scan, and then add it back, does that resolve it?

Sammy

This might be related or it might not be related.

I have my Emby set to record as follows:

R:/EmbyRecordings/TV Series

R:/EmbyRecordings/Movies

I previously had an issue with my database where recordings were not being properly indexed so I moved them to R:/EmbyRecordingsOld/TV Series and R:/EmbyRecordingsOld/Movies but did not change the pointer in the DVR settings of the Emby Server, leaving it pointed as above.

Some current recordings are being made to both the new location and the old location creating two copies of the same recording. It seems that the Emby Database still points to the *Old directory for some series but not all. What is needed to ferret this out?

Maybe my post needs to be forked into a new thread?

TIA.

Edited by Sammy

astephon88

If you remove the parent folder from your library, then run a full scan, and then add it back, does that resolve it?

Yes, any method of removing the item from the library (moving out of the folder then back in, removing and readding the parent folder, etc) removes the second version. It's just when the recording is initially added to the library by DVR that it creates the second version in the database

• Like 1