Talk volume at a very low volume, background OK.

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I have already fixed this by converting the files to mp4s and I no longer have the source files so I cannot reproduce the problem at this time BUT it mat reoccur later so I thought I would ask to see what I might have done wrong.

The files were recorded at a remote location using a DVR that produces an MKV with an ac3 audio track file as an output.

Every file up to those recorded about six weeks ago play fine without any further change.

What happens is the all background sounds are of correct volume but dialog is EXTREMELY low so low as to often be completely inaudible.

My system is set so that the players all go through HDMI to the TV and the TV's audio output is fed to a basic stereo audio system

Every setting there is in the TV, app, device and audio system is set to play only stereo and/or downmix to stereo as needed.

The files are from a TV show (NCIS: Los Angles - s10e14 through e19) and all other shows recorded in that same period have normal audio.

What I am trying to determine is what could have been the problem and if there is anything I could be doing that would effect only that one show over several episodes over several weeks.

As I said I have fixed the problem by converting the files to mp4. I made no special settings in handbrake for the conversion.

Also the files all played correctly on all my Rokus, in the web app, on my Shield TV and on all devices through Plex. That is the only problem I have found is playing the files on my Fire TV 4K Stick using the beta Emby app.

Since the problem is fixed there is no urgency at all as the next recording of NCIS: Los Angles will not happen until next Sunday. This is more curiosity than anything else.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Sounds like a 5 channel audio stream was being forced to a 2-channel system which then lost the center channel (where most dialog is).

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

Sounds like a 5 channel audio stream was being forced to a 2-channel system which then lost the center channel (where most dialog is).

Yes, but it played correctly everywhere and in every app except for Emby on the Fire 4K stick.

That implies that only that one show had something wrong that caused the center channel to get lost only on that one device only in Emby.

The symptom is clear but I am just wondering what could be causing that problem.

Gilgamesh_48

I have now found another video where this is happening. What info would be the most helpful in finding what is going wrong.

Fire 4K Stick

Software ver - 6.2.6.0 (NS6260/1840)

App ver - 1.7.01a

Server ver - 4.0.3.0

Server log attached. The file in question is: "NCIS - s13e06 - Viral.mkv" and it was not recorded recently so it appears that something changed recently that is outside the recording system.

I played some of the file on my Roku and there it played just fine.

EmbyLogFor-2019-04-03.txt

Is that all you need to check on this?

Note: There were no other log files for the period involved.

Thanks.

Have you tried setting the Audio setting in the app to "Downmix to stereo"?

Gilgamesh_48

Have you tried setting the Audio setting in the app to "Downmix to stereo"?

As I said in my original post on this:

Every setting there is in the TV, app, device and audio system is set to play only stereo and/or downmix to stereo as needed.

So the answer is yes. Maybe it is not working correctly?

Gilgamesh_48

More info:

If I choose any other setting in the app other than "Downmix to stereo" there is either no sound or the symptom is unchanged.

If I choose any setting other than "Stereo" in the Fire stick settings the audio badly distorts or is unchanged.

Plex plays the problem files on the Fire stick without any problem.

The Emby Roku app plays the file just fine even when hooked up to the exact same port as the stick.

The Emby app on my Shield TV plays the files just fine. My Shield is not, it appears, using the beta app.

That is it is only on my 4K Fire TV stick where there is any problem.

If I choose any other setting in the app other than "Downmix to stereo" there is either no sound or the symptom is unchanged.

I'm a bit confused by this.  There are only two options - Auto and Downmix.  So how do you get two different behaviors out of the one setting (auto)...?

Gilgamesh_48

I'm a bit confused by this.  There are only two options - Auto and Downmix.  So how do you get two different behaviors out of the one setting (auto)...?

I am as well. "Auto" will produce at times different symptoms.

I am going to try removing the Emby app and reinstalling it.

Gilgamesh_48

After uninstalling the Emby app and restarting my Stick (probably unnecessary) and installing the Emby app again the problem has gone away. Currently it is the "regular" app that is running at this time I but I believe it will auto-update to the beta at some point.

As  a side question how can I, should the beta prove to be the problem, drop out of the beta for a while? I do not remember if I had to do anything "special" to get the beta but I think that it just happens.

As  a side question how can I, should the beta prove to be the problem, drop out of the beta for a while? I do not remember if I had to do anything "special" to get the beta but I think that it just happens.

Reverse this.