Synology Package or Docker - Considerations?

tiorsus

tiorsus

Would the Docker version of Emby running on a NAS that supports hardware transcoding (Synology DS918+) still be able to leverage those transcoding capabilities?  Or would it be limited to software, due to being "trapped" in a virtualized environment?

It seems like Emby could be run either via the Synology package, or Docker.  I'm curious what the implications might be of choosing one or the other.  In general I would prefer Docker for the sake of control & portability, but was wondering if there'd be any downside that I might not be considering?

Would the Docker version of Emby running on a NAS that supports hardware transcoding (Synology DS918+) still be able to leverage those transcoding capabilities?

Hi, in theory, yes, and some knowledgeable community members have figured out how to set it up, but we are not officially supporting it yet. That means at this stage, we may not have the answers for every possible road block that you might run into.

The only thing to consider regarding Docker vs native on Synology, is that we're not actively testing the Docker image on Synology, not like we are on other platforms at least. It's simply an issue of time and resources, the native package is quite an undertaking as it is. Thanks.

tiorsus

Understood - thanks for the quick feedback.  I guess I'll just stick with the package for now then, for simplicity.

Is there somewhere I might be able to follow though, to be notified if Docker hardware transcoding is eventually officially supported as well? i.e. a Github issue, forum thread, etc where it (and only it) might be announced? :)

Thanks!