Recording back to back shows on one stream!

pcm2a

I tested something accidentally tonight that seems very impressive and I was wondering how it works. My emby server is set up to allow three (3) streams. I had two back to back recordings on two channels, all with 4 minutes before and 3 minutes after. All four (4) shows recorded with the extra minutes before and after!

Channel A recording 7:00pm - 8:00pm, 67 minutes (this one I see the first 3 minutes of the next show, which is expected)

Channel A recording 8:00pm - 9:00pm, 67 minutes (this one I see the last 4 minutes of the previous show, which is expected)

Channel B recording 7:00pm - 8:00pm, 67 minutes (this one I see the first 3 minutes of the next show, which is expected)

Channel B recording 8:00pm - 9:00pm, 67 minutes (this one I see the last 4 minutes of the previous show, which is expected)

How did this happen with only 3 streams available? My only guess is that Emby is when it sees back to back shows it is using a single stream to record two shows at the same time when it needs to record a few minutes before and after.

I tested something accidentally tonight that seems very impressive and I was wondering how it works. My emby server is set up to allow three (3) streams. I had two back to back recordings on two channels, all with 4 minutes before and 3 minutes after. All four (4) shows recorded with the extra minutes before and after!

Channel A recording 7:00pm - 8:00pm, 67 minutes (this one I see the first 3 minutes of the next show, which is expected)

Channel A recording 8:00pm - 9:00pm, 67 minutes (this one I see the last 4 minutes of the previous show, which is expected)

Channel B recording 7:00pm - 8:00pm, 67 minutes (this one I see the first 3 minutes of the next show, which is expected)

Channel B recording 8:00pm - 9:00pm, 67 minutes (this one I see the last 4 minutes of the previous show, which is expected)

How did this happen with only 3 streams available? My only guess is that Emby is when it sees back to back shows it is using a single stream to record two shows at the same time when it needs to record a few minutes before and after.

It's actually more impressive then you think.  Since only two channels were involved Emby only used two streams.  You could have had another set of similar shows set on channel C.

Emby does tuner sharing.  So it knew for example to start record on A at 6:56 and finish the first program at 8:03

I knew to record the second show on the same channel from 7:56 till 9:03

There was an overlap from 7:56 to 8:03 where the one tuner was being used for two different streams/files being recorded.

That same stream could have also supplied numerous users live TV on the same channel as well while still only using the one source stream even with two recordings using it as well!

Pretty cool isn't it?

Carlo

• Like 1