Looking for legal provider with HDHomerun ending Premium TV

analogking

analogking

I've been using HDHomerun for cable channels.  Now that they are turning off the service, does anyone recommend a legal replacement?

There is no legal replacement that can be dropped into Emby or other similar DVR program as far as I'm aware of.

There are legal services you can use onside of Emby but they will not be integrated.

SHSPVR

Skystream and Tiki should be the next alternatives. Just not sure how they work yet

That will do any good as those too are name under the Omniverse Lawsuit so they too will die

Edited by SHSPVR

lightsout

There is no legal replacement that can be dropped into Emby or other similar DVR program as far as I'm aware of.

There are legal services you can use onside of Emby but they will not be integrated.

You can if you use a cable card. I have spectrum choice which is their alacarte service. It's streaming but also has the ability to be used with a DVR so you can rent a cable card. A hdhomerun prime is required.

Think he's looking for Internet based TV vs Cable.  Something to replace the service Silicon Dust had for $35 per month for roughly 45 channels which required the use of a HDHomeRun OTA unit.

@@analogking did you setup your HDHomeRun with an antenna to at least get any local channels if available in your area?  Which HDHomerun do you have?

Have you considered using a HDHomeRun prime or similar and getting service from your cable company?  I know a lot of people like to think about "cutting the cord" but in today's market that doesn't always save money.  Many cable companies prices combo or triple play packages very competitively on the base prices.

They do get you on all the little fees however which can easily add $10 to $40 on top of the "quoted" charges such as:

$10 HD programming fee

$10 DVR fee

$10 per STB rental fee

$10 Cable Card Rental Fee

etc

What I've done is use a HDHomeRun Quatro for all my local OTA channels (was also used for testing PTV) which allows recording/watching of at least 4 OTA channels. Can be more if you run it through NextPVR which allows sharing tuners for multiple stations on the same mux.

I then use an HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for cable channels.  That then gives me 3 cable channels other than my locals already handled by the Quatro. With both HDHomeRuns you would have 7 total physical tuners in total.

Since I have a Roku, Android TV, Xbox device attached to every TV in the house I could watch TV/Recordings through Emby and have zero need for the STB.

By providing my own hardware I didn't need to rent any Set Top Box, nor need their DVR service.  Since I wasn't using any of their services I also didn't get charged the $10 HD programming fee.  I also got a credit for not using a STB which covered the cable card rental fee.

So I got my cable package/bundle at the "listed cost" without any additional monthly fees.  This gave me far more channels then I got from the SD Premium TV package, and has much better quality as well.  Premium TV never really got the quality very good and had reliability issues. Cable or OTA blows it away on quality and uptime which can be important!

So maybe, depending on the area you live in and which cable companies are in your area, check out and see on their website if they have a combo package or basic TV package that will have the minimal channels you really need.  You might be surprised how competitive they really can be when you can eliminate all the EXTRA fees they add on which you won't need.

It really hard to do better than cable for reliability and quality which may be worth a few bucks as well especially, if your have a "Wife Acceptance Factor" or similar to consider. :)

I know it's not what you were asking for but just thought I'd give you something to think about since choices are slim if non-existent for what you're looking for that can integrate into Emby.

Carlo

• Like 2

lightsout

Yes I would consider that as well. Usually a cable card rental is only $3 a month.

You shouldn't need the two tuner units if you are ok to only have 3 channels at a time you could just use the hdhomerun prime.

The only snag there is it is no longer produced. But there are plenty on eBay. I recently got one for $100. SD is supposed to release a 6 tuner prime this year but that was announced at last year's CES and we're still waiting.

Maybe this recent turn of events will encourage them to get moving in other areas.

SHSPVR

Yes I would consider that as well. Usually a cable card rental is only $3 a month.

You shouldn't need the two tuner units if you are ok to only have 3 channels at a time you could just use the hdhomerun prime.

The only snag there is it is no longer produced. But there are plenty on eBay. I recently got one for $100. SD is supposed to release a 6 tuner prime this year but that was announced at last year's CES and we're still waiting.

Maybe this recent turn of events will encourage them to get moving in other areas.

They must be dick around they should have all ready gotten that out unless Cable Labs is being a dick about it with it certification testing

lightsout

I think they have a history of being with hardware. But yeah who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

The 6 channel Prime has been talked about for nearly 3 years now. Last interview stated they had a issue with supply chain.

Didn't say it, but reading into it makes me think we are at minimum 6 to 9 months out STILL at the earliest.

I have seen no FCC certs yet on the box itself either.

Only reason I mentioned using 2 devices is that I figured he probably already had an OTA version that was being used for Premium TV.  If so then either sell it and put the money toward a prime or better yet, make use of it. :)

lightsout

The 6 channel Prime has been talked about for nearly 3 years now. Last interview stated they had a issue with supply chain.

Didn't say it, but reading into it makes me think we are at minimum 6 to 9 months out STILL at the earliest.

I have seen no FCC certs yet on the box itself either.

Only reason I mentioned using 2 devices is that I figured he probably already had an OTA version that was being used for Premium TV.  If so then either sell it and put the money toward a prime or better yet, make use of it. :)

Bummer about the 6 tuner model. I am content personally with 3 but it does limit my recording.

Totally understand about the OTA tuner, just wanted to be clear.

• Like 1

AxelAxel3

Think he's looking for Internet based TV vs Cable. Something to replace the service Silicon Dust had for $35 per month for roughly 45 channels which required the use of a HDHomeRun OTA unit.

@@analogking did you setup your HDHomeRun with an antenna to at least get any local channels if available in your area? Which HDHomerun do you have?

Have you considered using a HDHomeRun prime or similar and getting service from your cable company? I know a lot of people like to think about "cutting the cord" but in today's market that doesn't always save money. Many cable companies prices combo or triple play packages very competitively on the base prices.

They do get you on all the little fees however which can easily add $10 to $40 on top of the "quoted" charges such as:

$10 HD programming fee

$10 DVR fee

$10 per STB rental fee

etc

What I've done is use a HDHomeRun Quatro for all my local OTA channels (was also used for testing PTV) which allows recording/watching of at least 4 OTA channels. Can be more if you run it through NextPVR which allows sharing tuners for multiple stations on the same mux.

I then use an HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for cable channels. That then gives me 3 cable channels other than my locals already handled by the Quatro. With both HDHomeRuns you would have 7 total physical tuners in total.

Since I have a Roku, Android TV, Xbox device attached to every TV in the house I could watch TV/Recordings through Emby and have zero need for the STB.

By providing my own hardware I didn't need to rent any Set Top Box, nor need their DVR service. Since I wasn't using any of their services I also didn't get charged the $10 HD programming fee. I also got a credit for not using a STB which covered the cable card rental fee.

So I got my cable package/bundle at the "listed cost" without any additional monthly fees. This gave me far more channels then I got from the SD Premium TV package, and has much better quality as well. Premium TV never really got the quality very good and had reliability issues. Cable or OTA blows it away on quality and uptime which can be important!

So maybe, depending on the area you live in and which cable companies are in your area, check out and see on their website if they have a combo package or basic TV package that will have the minimal channels you really need. You might be surprised how competitive they really can be when you can eliminate all the EXTRA fees they add on which you won't need.

It really hard to do better than cable for reliability and quality which may be worth a few bucks as well especially, if your have a "Wife Acceptance Factor" or similar to consider. :)

I know it's not what you were asking for but just thought I'd give you something to think about since choices are slim if non-existent for what you're looking for that can integrate into Emby.

Carlo

Are there any packages that you know of that can go across the internet like HD PTV did? I live in a rural area and cable isn't available. I barely even get internet :(

lightsout

Are there any packages that you know of that can go across the internet like HD PTV did? I live in a rural area and cable isn't available. I barely even get internet :(

All the streaming services do, you just can't use them with emby. 

lightsout

So HdHomeRun Prime only works with providers that go over cable?

Yeah the Prime is a cablecard device. That is the only format it uses. I use it with a "streaming" service but its through charter and allows cable cards. So its more of a hybrid. But yes you would need to use a cable card with the prime, which equals cable provider.

Sammy

Think he's looking for Internet based TV vs Cable. Something to replace the service Silicon Dust had for $35 per month for roughly 45 channels which required the use of a HDHomeRun OTA unit.

@@analogking did you setup your HDHomeRun with an antenna to at least get any local channels if available in your area? Which HDHomerun do you have?

Have you considered using a HDHomeRun prime or similar and getting service from your cable company? I know a lot of people like to think about "cutting the cord" but in today's market that doesn't always save money. Many cable companies prices combo or triple play packages very competitively on the base prices.

$10 HD programming fee

$10 DVR fee

$10 per STB rental fee

etc

I then use an HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for cable channels. That then gives me 3 cable channels other than my locals already handled by the Quatro. With both HDHomeRuns you would have 7 total physical tuners in total.

By providing my own hardware I didn't need to rent any Set Top Box, nor need their DVR service. Since I wasn't using any of their services I also didn't get charged the $10 HD programming fee. I also got a credit for not using a STB which covered the cable card rental fee.

So I got my cable package/bundle at the "listed cost" without any additional monthly fees. This gave me far more channels then I got from the SD Premium TV package, and has much better quality as well. Premium TV never really got the quality very good and had reliability issues. Cable or OTA blows it away on quality and uptime which can be important!

So maybe, depending on the area you live in and which cable companies are in your area, check out and see on their website if they have a combo package or basic TV package that will have the minimal channels you really need. You might be surprised how competitive they really can be when you can eliminate all the EXTRA fees they add on which you won't need.

Carlo

Carlo,

What channels do you get and how much does it cost?

Do you suffer from CCI / DRM?

Do you have it set up to use OTA for locals?

Wishing I kept one Prime now but am considering picking one up on EvilBay.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Sammy

Yeah the Prime is a cablecard device. That is the only format it uses. I use it with a "streaming" service but its through charter and allows cable cards. So its more of a hybrid. But yes you would need to use a cable card with the prime, which equals cable provider.

Are you AKA Whiteboy714?

After removing channels I don't want (Latino, Shopping, music, etc) I end up with 27 channels OTA and 145 Cable Channels (removed OTA Channels).

Of these 145 Cable Channels I have the following channels DRMed

SUNDANC
RETRO
MPLEX
INDIE
FLIX
STZENFS
STZENHD
STZENAC
STZENBK
STZENCL
STZENSU
STZEWSS
Those are mostly all Starz or affiliates which I got as a "bonus" for switching to Xfinity.

So 27+145-12=160 Channels after filtering out all the SD and other channels I'll never use.

In the Phila area FIOS and XFinity are about on par DRM wise (only premium channels).  I find Comcast's xfinity to have a better picture on the H.264 channels as Verizon FIOS seemed to over compress channels I think due to their online service.

I like Comcast TV better but by far prefer Verizon FIOS internet since you get a lot more upload bandwidth.

Sammy

I'm looking into Spectum Select and it'll still be more than the new YTTV even if I keep Philo. Spectrum Choice is too limited. It'd be nice to choose an additional 10 channels for what it costs.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

lightsout

Are you AKA Whiteboy714?

Yeah whats up Sammy, super old username over there they won't let me change it.

I agree Spectrum choice is pretty limited. I recently looked at select, and while there was more there wasn't a ton more that I wanted. But I will probably down the way just go to select. Seems comparable with the other offerings out there, a big advantage for me with out an antenna is that it includes OTA.

But I want to get a second Prime because even with the slim choices its easy to load up 3 tuners. I have to be selective at times.

Maybe SD will finally release that 6 tuner model, I would hope that would eliminate the need for renting two m cards and having 2  TA's.

If you are looking to snag a prime, I just posted in the Prime thread at AVS to see if anyone had one lying around and a guy had a like new one I got for $100. If you want to avoid the bay.

• Like 1

Sammy

Yeah whats up Sammy, super old username over there they won't let me change it.

I agree Spectrum choice is pretty limited. I recently looked at select, and while there was more there wasn't a ton more that I wanted. But I will probably down the way just go to select. Seems comparable with the other offerings out there, a big advantage for me with out an antenna is that it includes OTA.

But I want to get a second Prime because even with the slim choices its easy to load up 3 tuners. I have to be selective at times.

Maybe SD will finally release that 6 tuner model, I would hope that would eliminate the need for renting two m cards and having 2  TA's.

If you are looking to snag a prime, I just posted in the Prime thread at AVS to see if anyone had one lying around and a guy had a like new one I got for $100. If you want to avoid the bay.

Do you have a link?

lightsout

For whatever reason I cannot load the thread..

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I just quoted you in it, check your notifications or it should be at the top of the HTPC section.