Multiple version selections

fizzyade

fizzyade

HWA on Docker is only experimental at this stage so I don't quite have all the answers about that. But if you follow how to report a problem, we might be able to spot something. Thanks.

Done. Thanks for your work on the fix for version selection, it no longer drives me mad!

fizzyade

Right, so on the 4K TV this is now working correctly, but on the 1080p TV with the shield set to 1080p it’s still selecting 4K movies as the default version.

fizzyade

There's nothing wrong there if the 4k version can direct play.

And we’re back now to the point where HDR content won’t display properly on a 1080p TV, which was one of my original issues (along with the 4K TV not picking 4K).

My argument is that resolution matching should take precedence.

My argument is that resolution matching should take precedence.

The problem is, if the app limits the resolution then it is going to cause unnecessary transcoding in a lot of instances.  We would need some new sort of parameter like "preferred resolution".

• Like 1

fizzyade

The problem is, if the app limits the resolution then it is going to cause unnecessary transcoding in a lot of instances.  We would need some new sort of parameter like "preferred resolution".

Thanks for the response.

I think a setting which allowed you to set the preferred resolution on a client by client basis would be a good/perfectly acceptable solution to the problem, Auto=how it currently works, Prefer 4k, Prefer 1080p etc.

Without tone mapping HDR breaks the current way of working, it's not entirely obvious on how to select different versions, I know it's there but I'm pretty sure the friends I share my server to don't, neither does my wife or children - they'll probably sit there through a film where the colours are wrong.  Where I have a 4k film I always have a 1080p non-hdr version specifically for this reason, but emby selects the wrong version.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
cybergrimes

Question/observation about selection-- if I have a full 1080p rip with a reported bitrate of 33 Mbps and another 720p version with a bitrate of 5,011 kbps, I set my playback/quality rate to 5 Mbps, since both versions are higher than the set quality rate it's always picking the 1080p rip. Is the thought that transcoding the higher quality version would have better output or would it make more sense to choose the lesser two of the choices for performance?

cybergrimes

Sure I'll try to show it with screenshots.

Here's a movie where I have a full original rip of the Blu-ray that comes in at 33,765 kbps overall bitrate. I made a 720p copy for remote streaming that came out at 5,011 kbps overall bitrate.

If I set playback quality to anything below 5,011 kbps then Emby is auto selecting the version with a bitrate of 33,765 kbps. The 720p / 5,011 kbps version is only selected with bitrates between 6 Mbps and 30 Mbps.

5d1c285527893_Autoselectionranges.jpg

5d1c28cd25c02_TheGamemediainfo.jpg

Quality of 5 Mbps results in the larger 1080p version being transcoded:

5d1c29c2ac6c6_Videoquality5Mbps.jpg

Quality of 6 Mbps results in no transcode, picks the 720p copy:

5d1c29d14a63f_Videoquality6Mbps.jpg

So original question, is that correct and/or on purpose?

It's much faster / less resources needed to transcode the 5,011 kbps file down to 5,000 kbps than bringing the 33,765 kbps file down to 5 Mbps.

rbjtech

Personally I'd also love to have the Device the movie is playing on factored into the decision and maybe even overwrite any other factors. 

If I have a 4K/1080p/720p film playing on my 'main' TV - then this also has external surround sound, wired ethernet etc - so I want it to use the 'best' Audio track it has and the best 'resolution' it has.  

If I have a 4K/1080p/720p film playing on say a fixed bedroom TV - then it won't have surround sound and thus I want it played at 1080p/AAC Stereo (assuming that Audio track is available).

For non-fixed devices (web browsers etc) - then sure, use bandwidth calculations - but for fixed devices, I'm not sure why this would not be a better solution putting the user in direct control ?

Vidman

Sorry to hijack but just a quick question on a semi related note. Is it a known issue that multi version movies do not implement the new visual seeking feature?

Vidman

If i add a 4k version of a movie to a movie folder (following the wiki naming conventions) i no longer see the thumbnail images along the seek bar for the original movie or the new 4k version. All other movies still work fine. Server 4.1.1.0

Tested on Android tv and the webui with chrome browser

Edited by Vidman

With the upcoming 4.2 release, each version will get their own thumbnails. Thanks.

• Like 1