Multiple version selections

fizzyade

fizzyade

How is the decision made on what the play as default?

My TV downstairs is a 1080p TV and on some films selects the 4K version of a movie by default and the TV upstairs is a 4K TV and sometimes selects the 1080p by default, it’s driving me crazy.

Could there be an option in the client to say “prefer 4K or prefer 1080p with multiple versions” to override this automatic selection?

The apps automatically choose the most efficient version to play, based on all applicable settings, such as server settings, user permissions, and app settings. if one or more of the files can direct play, then it's generally the highest quality version that can direct play.

fizzyade

What happens with 4K HDR files, my client is a shield, if it direct plays to the shield does that mean that it correctly does tone mapping, is the tone mapping only an issue on Transcode?  And if so, in that case would Emby automatically select the 1080p version as the 4K one wouldn't play properly?

(Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm just trying to figure out the permutations of playing media here)

I'm not sure if that goes into the direct play decision making for this app. @@ebr can elaborate. Thanks.

I'm not sure there is any way for us to know if your display will properly accept the HDR signal...

• Like 1

fizzyade

Humn, is the implication here that this behaviour is broken then? Emby doesn’t remember the selection, so you have to select the right file every time. (And I know that multiple versions are more than just being about resolutions)

This could be alleviated by having a setting for multiple version selections:

Auto (current behaviour)

1080p (forces selection of *a* 1080p version)

2160p (as above but 2160)

Last (defaults to the last selected version)

• Like 1

Hi.  It isn't "broken".  There is just no facility to remember a version selection and it isn't a simple situation.

The "correct" version is based on context which not only includes the app and device but, potentially, the network connection as well.  All of those could change from one playback to another so we can't just always choose the last one you selected like we do with audio and subs.

Its just something that has to be thought through and designed in a way that will work best for all.  Right now, it chooses the best version based on the above context on each playback.

fizzyade

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks

Hi, well, I’m still seeing HDR 2160p being picked for a 1080p and 1080p being picked over 2160p on a 4K tv, so from my point of view it’s not working as per my expectations.

I think the solution (even as an interim) as I proposed a few posts up would alleviate this problem, doing a search on here I would appear to be far from the first person struggling with this.

I know there’s more at play here than just resolution (directors cuts, theatrical cuts, 3D, etc) so I understand your point of view, but the selection box with auto, 1080p, 2160p in the app settings would probably solve this for most people’s usage cases.

Keep up the good work guys,

Hi, well, I’m still seeing HDR 2160p being picked for a 1080p and 1080p being picked over 2160p on a 4K tv, so from my point of view it’s not working as per my expectations.

I think the solution (even as an interim) as I proposed a few posts up would alleviate this problem, doing a search on here I would appear to be far from the first person struggling with this.

I know there’s more at play here than just resolution (directors cuts, theatrical cuts, 3D, etc) so I understand your point of view, but the selection box with auto, 1080p, 2160p in the app settings would probably solve this for most people’s usage cases.

Keep up the good work guys,

Can we look at the details of an example? By efficient what i mean is direct play, so if one can direct play and the other can't, then that would be expected behavior.

but the selection box with auto, 1080p, 2160p in the app settings would probably solve this for most people’s usage cases.

We already have a quality setting in the app, and if you configure that, it will impact this decision making as well.

fizzyade

Can we look at the details of an example? By efficient what i mean is direct play, so if one can direct play and the other can't, then that would be expected behavior.

We already have a quality setting in the app, and if you configure that, it will impact this decision making as well.

The home bandwidth option?

The decision to pick direct play in my case is the wrong choice, in my position I want it to select direct stream (i.e on the 4K TV I want 4K, I don't care if the audio transcodes) the decision to pick the direct play as precedence is wrong for me.  I know better than the algorithm hence my suggestion for an option to *help* selection of a version, 1080p/4K/Auto.

The home bandwidth option?

The decision to pick direct play in my case is the wrong choice

I'm specifically referring to the quality settings in the Emby apps, but if you're out of network, then yes, the home bandwidth option could affect it to if you're using that.

Can we please go over specific examples? How to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

fizzyade

Humn, I have just gone to a movie on the 4K TV and it’s automatically selected the 1080p version, so I selected the 2160p version and hit play.

When I went to the server dashboard it shows that the file is being direct played, so according to the rules mentioned above this should have been the version that was auto selected for playback.

I’ll upload a log tomorrow when I’m back on my machine.

fizzyade

@@Luke

Here is the server log, I went into the movie and it pre-selected the 1080p version on my Shield connected to a 4K TV.  I hit play.  After I manually selected the 4K version and hit play on that as well.  Was at about 13:16 I tried this.

https://cloud.fizzyade.com/s/mbY4SLPi9pLYZPS

Edited by fizzyade

fizzyade

Ok, this should be improved with the next release, thanks.

Cheers!

Will this be a server side fix or a client side fix? Will keep an eye out for a new release, I’m running in docker under unraid.

fizzyade

Yes.

Awesome, just installed and it seems much better at selecting the correct version!

By the way, when I select the beta tag from docker hardware transcoding from nvidia stops working, is this intended? (well, it shows no hardware encoders/decoders)