#21 HRSCR OFFLINE  

HRSCR

Behind the tree

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Local time: 11:12 PM

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:39 AM

@Spaceboy Yeah, some devices work really good

@ebr yes, wire hdcp2.2, marketing etc, etc. 

I agree with both of you but is a fact that the return audio is really bad on ARC. i found sites asking for high speed on ARC. :lol: 

#22 D34DC3N73R OFFLINE  

D34DC3N73R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Local time: 10:12 PM

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:10 PM

I switched to optical but it didn't seem to make a difference. Logs attached Plex does give me DTS options when using passthrough optical. Where would I find DTS settings in the emby app?

Attached Files

#23 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44185 posts
  • Local time: 01:12 AM

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

An optical connection is just as limited as the ARC.  In fact, that it the same spec the ARC is implementing (SPDIF).

#24 D34DC3N73R OFFLINE  

D34DC3N73R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

So I'm gathering emby is just unable to do whatever plex is doing to enable direct play of this same file? My only option is to downmix absolutely every file to stereo within the app if I want direct playback?

#25 HRSCR OFFLINE  

HRSCR

Behind the tree

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Local time: 11:12 PM

Posted 29 March 2019 - 12:46 AM

So I'm gathering emby is just unable to do whatever plex is doing to enable direct play of this same file? My only option is to downmix absolutely every file to stereo within the app if I want direct playback?

Hello.

I think that this topic is being extended by simple things or that is not either well explained or not being understood well.

A- Plex decode everything, Emby doesn't.

B- Meanwhile Plex report to the user: "okay i'm direct playing the content". That's is not true. Again... Plex, decode everything.

Did you remember when some no stereo radio stations sent a hack signal to show the red light in your stereo receiver and was a monoaural signal? Is the same thing.

I used Plex for a long time and even a month ago I was using it on my computer when I was running Windows 10 on the server. When I switched to Linux I decided not to install Plex, because the truth is that the amount of space that Plex uses is gigantic in GB. My main disk is an M2 SSD of just 256GB. I preferred to use that space for something more productive than Plex.
Having said that, and after testing Plex on different devices and with different configurations in my house for several years. I decided to stay with Emby because Plex, frankly, is in decline. The best thing that Plex currently have is its marketing.

We have to check your setup.

Having said that, I offer to help you, I am not here to bother you.

I need to start:

1-The brand and model of your soundbar.
2-The brand and model of your TV.
3-The type of HDMI cables you are using (if you know the brand and the model, better)
4- I need the diagram of your setup (wires and direction). Even if you need to draw on a sheet of paper at hand the diagram of your connection setup and then take a picture with your phone.

Regards

#26 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44185 posts
  • Local time: 01:12 AM

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

We should be giving you superior sound by sending DD to your soundbar instead of software decoded PCM.

We are also only converting the audio so there is no video transcoding going on and should not have much of an impact on your server.

#27 D34DC3N73R OFFLINE  

D34DC3N73R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:26 PM

@HRSCR It is odd though. When plex reports direct play, there is absolutely no transcoding happening server side. Not even audio. Server CPU is flat. I can't say what's happening on the client. Honestly, I don't mind emby needing to transcode the audio (very little resources needed for that), if that audio transcode didn't also affect the video (as described in this post). I also attached a diagram of my system. I'm fairly certain the cables are 6' HDMI 2.0. If you can think of a better way to set up the system, I'm all ears.

Attached Files

Edited by D34DC3N73R, 01 April 2019 - 07:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nvidia shield, transcode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users