Directplay - Remote (how does it work?)

Gisciple
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Gisciple

Hi,

Please be gentle..

So...umm, I am unsure what bandwidth measures are considered for directplay for content like 4k Hevc files over remote streaming.

What I am trying to understand/clarify is that, is my upload speed crucial when my 4k content is being streamed as direct play to my remote user.

For instance my broadband connection is D/L - 400mbps : U/L 20mbps, I live close to my exchange and i get those speeds (hardwired or WiFi). My Local directplay to my devices is all good.

My remote user has the same internet connection, but gets about 200 from 400 D/L and 12 from 20 U/L (hardwired or WiFi). User lives 6 miles from me and I would about the say same for the exchange. 

Most of my 4K Hevc content play smoothly on remote user's amazon fire stick using kodi 17.6 (Emby kodi add on) but a few 4k files buffer every 1-2 minutes, continuously throughout, file needs to be paused and then started again for longer play but it ultimately buffers.

These files have a bit rate over 20mbps (average), is that the reason why? Is it that I cant upload quick enough or continuously for remote user to directplay?

My media is stored in various external drives connected to my network - hardwired.

I apologise if I don't make any sense here...but this has got me a confused on how bandwidth/streaming works, any clarification would be nice.

Thanks,

• Solution

What I am trying to understand/clarify is that, is my upload speed crucial when my 4k content is being streamed as direct play to my remote user.

Yes.  The content has to travel from your server UP your connection and then back down his.  So it is limited by your upload speed.

Does that make sense?