Cannot resume or scrub on some strm media

pcm2a

For this issue the media is on a remote Emby server via Emby Connect where I do not have access to the server logs. When playing some shows I can only scrub in little increments 10-60 seconds and if I leave the show and resume it always starts back at the beginning. 

The issue does not occur on the web browser or Android TV Emby.

Here is the details from one example show:

Media Info

lethal weapon S02E21 - transcode 1080p

Video
Title1080p H264
CodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level40
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate2,928 kbps
Color primariesbt709
Color spacebt709
Color transferbt709
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
NAL4
Audio
TitleEng AAC stereo Default
Languageeng
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate127 kbps
Sample rate44,100 Hz
DefaultYes
Containermov
Size961 MB

Any ideas why it works on other platforms but not Roku?

If the server does not have an accurate duration for an item, it won't be able to resume it.  I believe this can happen with strm media.

Senna

If the server does not have an accurate duration for an item, it won't be able to resume it.  I believe this can happen with strm media.

Isn't it, that the Roku Client reports back the media info to the server of non-probed strm media, when the client plays it ?

On iOS and tvOS, my strm media that isn't probed yet, always report back ALL the media info to the server, including the duration, when those clients play it.

Since you didn't provide us with any specifics from this playback, I'm just making blind guesses...

Without being able to access the remote servers logs what information can I provide besides what is on the screen? Are there some Roku logs that would provide more information?

You could send a log from the app but seeing an ffmpeg log from the server would tell us more probably.

What happens if you use "playback correction" while it plays. Does this cause the item to be seekable? It might be we are (directstream/remux) copying the video stream and because this is an in-progress live stream it might not allow seeking very well. If you use playback correction it should start a full transcode and allow seeking. Also seeing ffmpeg logs would be a big clue as to what is going on. If you use the Beta version of the Roku app this has an option called stats-for-nerds you can enable. This will also help diagnose what is going on.

Edited by speechles

Playback correction didn't make any difference.

I ran a test and then submitted the logs from the Roku app. 

Username: pcm2a

Time: 11:06 AM CST

Show: Lethal Weapon S02E22

Screenshot showing the bad scrubber:

5c927915bba76_20190320_110600_HDR.jpg

Screenshot of the OSD that shows the correct time:

5c92790e12b96_20190320_110612_HDR.jpg

Screenshot from Emby Beta of stats for nerds:

5c92790237b68_20190320_120451.jpg

Emby knows the runtime because we probed this item at some point.  It looks like the Roku player, however, does not.  It looks like it is treating it as a live stream.