Upgrade help needed.

bomberjim

bomberjim

Sorry for the length of this, but advice would be welcome.  I've done some reading in the forums but a specific tutorial for upgrading from 2.6.2 doesn't seem to exist.

My intent is to install Server and Media Browser Classic on the same machine, my HTPC.

1.  Should I uninstall MB2, Media Center Master (if I intend to use the scraper in MB3), and Sharks Codec Pack (I understand LAV is a part of the install).  Anything else to consider?

2.  Anything that's re-usable from MB2?  Those actors thumbnails etc?

3.  Is my MB2 supporter key good for anything?  I understand Throg is gone, but how about trailers and cover art?

4.  I have a small (64GB) SSD drive and a conventional hard drive on the HTPC.  Is there a performance hit for installing either Server or Media Browser Classic on the conventional hard drive?

Metadata and File Structure:

1.  I understand that that additional folders for movie extras etc. are now available, but are there any changes needed for the basic folder/file conventions between MB2 and MB3.

2.  Do I need new Metadata, or will the old suffice?

3.  Are clear logo and/or clear art ususable, or can they be deleted?

4.  This is a big deal for me.  I use a static raid system to store my media (Flexraid - F).  Things don't work well if the media is periodically scanned.

a.  Is it possible to set up a single folder to be AUTOMATICALLY scanned/scraped and once that is done I would then manually move the media onto my Raid where it would NOT be scanned/scraped again.  In other words, once it is on the server it would be static.  Obviously it would need to available for playback.

Thanks to all for any help that you can provide.

Jim L.

1. Yes, but you will need to install LAV yourself.  It isn't included in the MBC install but it is highly recommended.

2. Maybe but the structure of the people folder has changed so it is probably easier to just start over

3. The trailers plug-in is free.  I will honor the CoverArt registration but you will have to become a MB3 supporter for any premium content to be registered.

4. You can't choose where to install the components but you can indicate where several things are stored (like your IBN and cache files).  I would suggest having the cache on the SSD for speed but you can move it off if space is a problem.

1. Things are basically the same but there are a few differences.  Review the file structure document and just be sure your stuff adheres to it.  More often than not, MB3 supports more than MB2 did (like the ability to not have season folders for TV).

2. Depending on how old and where it came from the metadata should be okay, but It might not be a bad idea to start over here too because we gather a whole lot more than MB 2 did.

3. Logos, Art, Thumbs, Discs etc. all supported by MB 3.  Leave them there.

4. I don't really understand this one.  I use FR myself with no issues.  What do you mean by "scanned/scraped"?  We will scan (read) your media folders periodically to check for changes but nothing is modified unless something has changed to warrant it.

bomberjim

4. I don't really understand this one.  I use FR myself with no issues.  What do you mean by "scanned/scraped"?  We will scan (read) your media folders periodically to check for changes but nothing is modified unless something has changed to warrant it.

Bad terminology, sorry. 

What I meant by scanned/scraped is looking at media to as you say "check for changes".  I've had problems with Media Center Master checking for changes and even when it finds nothing it does change change a bit in the data - a time stamp or something along these lines.  This results in your data being corrupted until you run an update which Flexraid (snapshot) does not normally do until the middle of the night.  Any change to file (time stamp etc.) is not a good thing with Flexraid - F configured in Snapshot Mode.

What I'd like to do, is setup Metadata checking (reading my folders) to be done only what might be called a scratch disc, on which I load new media files.  Once metadata, etc. is added I would manually move my media to my server.

I guess I could continue to Media Center Master, but I would prefer not to. 

You mentioned that you use Flexraid as well,  You might want to have Media Browser scan (read) your media folders and then run an update from within Flexraid.  If Flexraid finds changes, then your data would have been corrupted should you lose a drive between the time any changes are made and Flexraid running an update.  I don't let anything make changes automatically to the raid.

Couple more questions,

1.  So I gather from your responses, that I can't choose to install Media Browser Server for example on my D drive rather than the C drive?  If I can choose to do that, would there be a performance hit?

2.  One more time on the scan/read Media folders thing.  Is it possible to setup Metadata scanning, scanning for changes etc., on just a single folder, and still have other folders that are unscanned available in Media Browser Classic for playback?  I really don't want anything making automatic changes to my Media files.

Much thanks to EBR and CBer's for the info.

Jim L

When we scan your file system, we just look at the dates and compare them to the last date we have.  I don't think this will cause any update to the file system.

You cannot change where the program is installed, but, as I said, you can choose where certain items are (like the cache and IBN).  Whether there will be performance impacts from this is completely dependent on the components involved.

bomberjim

Ok, thanks again, one last question at least until I get things installed.

I fully intend to contribute and become a Media Browser supporter, and I appreciate you honoring the Cover Art registration, but to accomplish that do I enter my old MB2 supporter key or is their some other method?

Edited by bomberjim

We used to support entering the old key but, since Sam has taken down the old server, you will now need to PM me with the email you use to become a supporter and I'll do it manually.

bomberjim

Just an update in case anyone else has similar questions.  Everything went fine, up and running with no problems, some additional thoughts.

1.  Flexraid works fine with the server's scanning functions, unlike Media Center Master which caused a bit to be reset every time it scanned the files.

2.  Uninstalling MB 2.6.2 doesn't remove everything.  There still all the files under Media Browser in the Program Data Section.  If you're running a small SSD that takes up a lot of space.

Thanks again to EBR and CBers for the help.

Jim L

• Like 2