Is MediaBrowser for me?

TMA-1

TMA-1

Hi, 

I have my movie-collection stored on a NAS (ripped blu-rays to MKV). I play the movies on a Winsows computer connected to the main TV and projector. Im looking for a nice software that allows me to browse my collection with a cool and nice looking interface and play the movies without re-encode them.

I just found MediaBrowser and the Windows App look really nice. I also like the remote control feature so (as I understand it) I can use my Android tablet to start movies on the Windows computer connected to the TV/projector. I think MediaBrowser could work for me, BUT, as said I want to play my movies over the LAN without re-encode them and itt seem that MediaBrowser only play movies by re-encoding them. Is this correct? Can I somehow set it all up so I can browse my movies with the Windows app on the computer but play them with either an external player or the internal player but without re-encode them?

yes all of our apps try their best to avoid encoding as much as possible, and many play over the lan directly when available.

Sounds like MB is exactly what you are looking for.  Either MBC (Media Center client) or MBT (standalone) should do what you want.

Welcome!

TMA-1

Thanks for your answers.

MediaBrowser looks really nice. I've tested around a bit and I really like the Windows 8 app browsing interface. When I play a movie it says "Playing: Transcoding" in the top right corner so I guess it is transcoding. But when I play in MBT it seems to play the movie without transcoding but the MBT does not have as nice interface as the Windows 8 app in my opinion. Can I force the Windows 8 app to NOT transcoding somehow (perhaps a server setting?), or/and can I use an external player with it?

@@7illusions can confirm but I don't think so.  One of the things that is locked down in W8/RT apps is access to local content so I think that app will always have to request through the server.  It may or may not actually be transcoding though.  The reporting on that is not completely accurate and most apps do try to stream copy or direct stream if possible.

The W8 app is designed for use on tablets and other touch devices.

Raise the bitrate setting in the app to the max and it will decrease the likelihood of transcoding. there is no need to have a way to force direct play because the app already does everything it can to direct play when possible. only when it can't handle the file natively will it ask the server to transcode.

TMA-1

Ah I see. Just so I understand correctly, do the app request a transcode due to network bandwidth limitations or is it due to unsupported media codecs/containers.

Correction: I just figured out that it must be due to network bandwidth limitations. If the media codec/container is not supported the server can not transcode it in the first place =)

Edited by TMA-1

Both. It will always transcode due to unsupported media. But it will also transcode if the bitrate exceeds the setting in the application. That's how all our apps work.

It isn't really network bandwidth, but, rather, the bitrate you select in the requesting app - just for clarification.

And, yes, we will transcode to a supported format if the source is incompatible with the app requesting it.

gator99

@@ebr, @@Luke - is it possible to have MBC transcode only blu ray rips in mkv containers to my xboxs but not DVD rips in mkv container and only to Xbox 360? As direct play on HTPC works fine with both.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk