New server scan at 90.7% for 14 hours. Plex covered it in 4 hours.

Tony B.

Tony B.

Before I give you a ton of logs, I wanted to make sure that this is normal behavior.

I started the Media scan when I finished installing my server around 3pm yesterday.

Installed a new hard drive and it started back up at 90.7%

Stopped the server for around 4-5 hours while Plex finished it's scan.

Started it back up this morning around 10am, and it's still running now at 90.7%

The logs are "keeping fresh" but, I don't see how Plex took 4 hours and emby is taking this long.

I am testing out this server and haven't put production hard drives in it, just a few 500GB in it to just back up local computers and do a media scan of my network mounted folders.

Planning to load it with 4x10TB drives.

It seems like it would be a better share for my i5 Media center than a good source for recordings on HDHR Premium.

Do I have this correct?

It could just be that we have more metadata features enabled by default, and of course these come with a cost. Can you please attach the emby server log? thanks.

Tony B.

It could just be that we have more metadata features enabled by default, and of course these come with a cost. Can you please attach the emby server log? thanks.

Went and rebuilt the server tonight because, it's not that much sweat off my brow to do it. If I come into different problems again, I will report back.

Understand things like this happen; that are out of your control. So, you can call me a good samaritan by helping to test what I think is a bug before really "reporting" it to you. I am a software dev and want due diligence before these things were taken care of before I reported a real bug.

I KNOW I have a couple HD-DVD movies that have bad chapters that came from "rot" in them and, some "other" videos that skip in odd places on certain players; These resulted in corrupt viewing on a MKV or mpeg.. I have disabled thumbnail chapter creation before and, this time again. 

Tony

Tony B.

EDIT: I think I know why. It's a cyclical scan on to itself into another folder that the embsrvr has access to..

I can confirm it was a cyclical error with the NTFS Mounted Pictures directory of another server that shares and reroutes to back to Synology.. I'm sure you'll be able to see that as well in the logs. Guess I better get on the drive purchase for the Synology! 

BTW, Live TV is A.O.K. with a pretty "bogged down system" at 87% CPU and 73% memory.

You guys are awesome. Keep doing what you are! I will keep my subscription rolling! Never do what Plex does, ignore the customer. 

Thanks again guys. 

If I can help you solve this cyclical error, I would be happy to.

log.txt

Edited by abuttino

Tony B.

Nice suggestion.

DS412+.. It's my first. Didn't know if I was going to "get into it" but, it seems I have!

This primarily has to do with a cyclical issue.

I have a Drive folder inside of "Pictures" that routes to the Media center, then, I have that mounted and it keeps going back and fourth.

When I rebuilt my server tonight, I finally was able to pin that down.

Basically, the symbolic links are followed and it is a never ending black hole. Like you standing in between two mirrors pointing directly at you at the same time.

It also showed in the logs. Lots of lines to reflect the same thing.

solabc16

Hello @

Yeah, good spot tracking that down... keep us posted on how you get on.

The DS412+ should provide a reasonable experience, once you've got your environment setup and the initial scans completed.

Best

- James