Is there a way to group libraries?

abescalamis

abescalamis

I was wondering if there is a way to Group Libraries, I wanted to Group: New releases, Foreign, Kids, Movies A-Z together and name it "All Movies", but I also want to keep the libraries on their own, pretty much what Kodi for Emby already does.

I think that the only way is to create a Library, but I wanted to avoid longer library scans of the same movie folders because I run the Emby server from a NAS

5c882f16a62e5_PPPP.png

abescalamis

You can do that in Kodi using smart playlists.

I use Kodi at Home with your addon along with embruary and it does it automatically and I love it, that is where the idea comes from, I was wondering if Emby could do it too.

Not sure why you would want everything showing up in two sections like that but that's your decision.  I think it would be confusing when a user searches for a movies and gets back two versions.

You can't do this directly in Emby BUT you can assist it and get this done.

What you would need to do is create a SYMLINK folder on the machine and whip up a little script that walks your current folders in each of these different libraries creating a symlink version of each folder in the present library.  Then in the master SYMLINK folder it will have each and every folder contained in the respective different folders.  These SYMLINKS don't require any storage space as they are just "virtual" folders.

Then just create the master library as usual in Emby pointing to the symlink folder.

As far as Emby would be concerned these would each be different movies (different locations) so it has no issues doing this.

I do something similar where I break out a new library for different holidays.  So for Christmas I can have a dedicated library of just Christmas movies.  I use this symlink trick to accomplish this.  I've got different holiday movies setup this way so I can rotate a Holiday sections.  Christmas, Valentines Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc...

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

abescalamis

Not sure why you would want everything showing up in two sections like that but that's your decision.  I think it would be confusing when a user searches for a movies and gets back two versions.

You can't do this directly in Emby BUT you can assist it and get this done.

What you would need to do is create a SYMLINK folder on the machine and whip up a little script that walks your current folders creating a symlink version of each library in this master "Movies" folder.

Then just create the master library as usual in Emby pointing to the symlink folder.

As far as Emby would be concerned these would each be different movies (different locations) os it has no issues doing this.

I do something similar where I break out a new library for different holidays.  So for Christmas I can have a dedicated library of just Christmas movies.  I use this symlink trick to accomplish this.  I've got different holiday movies setup this way so I can rotate a Holiday sections.  Christmas, Valentines Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc...

Thank you, I will try that, and I used to think the same way, but the Kodi addon and embruary does this automatically over time I started to use it and it grew on me over time,