Convert 2160p HDR to 1080p SDR?

lightsout

lightsout

Lets say I do a remux with a UHD blu ray, and want to re-encode it to a smaller 1080p file for other devices. 

I tried with handbrake but the color is wrong, looks like trying to watch HDR on non HDR screen. Handbrake retained the 2020 color space but I would like to covert it to 709.

I am happy to store two files, until Emby gets tone mapping addeed to transcoding. But currently when I tried to re-encode a UHD  HDR remux the resulting 1080p video is washed out.

Anyone know how to do a proper 2020 to 709 encode?

Guest asrequested

It can be done with ffmpeg, but it's a hefty process. I'm pretty sure mpv will be able to, as well, but I haven't gotten around to testing that.

What are you using to play the videos?

lightsout

It can be done with ffmpeg, but it's a hefty process. I'm pretty sure mpv will be able to, as well, but I haven't gotten around to testing that.

What are you using to play the videos?

I have seen that ffmpeg can do it. But the info I have found is complex. I'm not a command line guy. I am not sure what mpv is

I would be using an Nvidia Shield for playback. Or possibly a Roku TV.

I am just curious for those obtaining their media legally, it seems like we need to make a choice of either 2160p or 1080p right now.

I guess I need to keep digging in regards to ffmpeg.

lightsout

I've created a separate library for mine, for now.

That's what I'm doing right now. I'll keep digging in how to convert them just because.

rbjtech

Ripbot264 has been my go-to encoder for years (ffmpeg under the hood) and it has HDR to SDR tone mapping built in via the GUI ..

5c8713f05b5d2_hdr1.png

It's a hefty process though and from what i read, single threaded, BUT ripbot has distributed encoding, splitting the video file into sections to allow multi-cpu/thread utilisation..

You'll need version v1.22 onwards (v1.24 is the latest)

v1.22.0
Added: Support for UHD Blurays
Added: Automatic HDR information retention while encoding to HEVC format 
Added: Automatic HDR to SDR tonemaping during conversion to AVC format

Added: Option to limit MT usage to specific filters only
Added: Custom Script option
Fixed: Various fixes and improvements 

Edited by rbjtech

lightsout

If you use an HTPC with Theater desktop, you won't ever have to worry about it.

So I tried this yesterday and it did look right, the color that is. But my TV did but turn on the HDR logo. Am I supposed to do it manually within windows for Emby theater?

lightsout

Ripbot264 has been my go-to encoder for years (ffmpeg under the hood) and it has HDR to SDR tone mapping built in via the GUI ..

5c8713f05b5d2_hdr1.png

It's a hefty process though and from what i read, single threaded, BUT ripbot has distributed encoding, splitting the video file into sections to allow multi-cpu/thread utilisation..

You'll need version v1.22 onwards (v1.24 is the latest)

v1.22.0

Added: Support for UHD Blurays

Added: Automatic HDR information retention while encoding to HEVC format

Added: Automatic HDR to SDR tonemaping during conversion to AVC format

Added: Option to limit MT usage to specific filters only

Added: Custom Script option

Fixed: Various fixes and improvements

Oh wow that's great. I have used ripbot over the years. I'll do some testing today thanks a lot.

Guest asrequested

So I tried this yesterday and it did look right, the color that is. But my TV did but turn on the HDR logo. Am I supposed to do it manually within windows for Emby theater?

It doesn't pass the metadata, mpv does the tone-mapping instead of your display. There have been a lot of improvements, recently. But you'll want to update mpv. I can help you with that.

You can take a look at this, to have a better idea.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69872-hdr-tone-mapping-with-mpv/page-1

Edited by Doofus

lightsout

It doesn't pass the metadata, mpv does the tone-mapping instead of your display. There have been a lot of improvements, recently. But you'll want to update mpv. I can help you with that.

You can take a look at this, to have a better idea.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69872-hdr-tone-mapping-with-mpv/page-1

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look, the HTPC is really just there to mess around. If I want to sit down and watch a movie I may fire it up but mostly use the Shield. 

I have messed with Emby Theater a bit and like what I see, much more options under video.

So what I understand you to be saying with mpv doing the tone mapping is I am still getting the same (similar) image, its just being processed at a different stage?

Guest asrequested

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look, the HTPC is really just there to mess around. If I want to sit down and watch a movie I may fire it up but mostly use the Shield.

So what I understand you to be saying with mpv doing the tone mapping is I am still getting the same (similar) image, its just being processed at a different stage?

It has many more options other than what is on the UI.

Correct. The 'standard' way HDR is handled is the information is sent to the display and the display does the tone mapping based on that information. So instead of doing that, mpv has it's own algorithms to apply the color. I'm very active in testing all the options, and I try to post what I think are the best options. At this point, I actually prefer what mpv does, when compared to passing the metadata. I can help with whatever you'd like to do in Theater.

Edited by Doofus

lightsout

It has many more options other than what is on the UI.

Correct. The 'standard' way HDR is handled is the information is sent to the display and the display does the tone mapping based on that information. So instead of doing that, mpv has it's own algorithms to apply the color. I'm very active in testing all the options, and I try to post what I think are the best options. At this point, I actually prefer what mpv does, when compared to passing the metadata. I can help with whatever you'd like to do in Theater.

Excellent thanks man, that is appreciated. My 4k drive and some discs show up Thursday, so I will start playing around at that point.

schmitty

So... I’m guessing by this, that if I was to rip a 2160p disc, and import it to my library... Emby won’t simply transcode down to 1080p on those devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

So... I’m guessing by this, that if I was to rip a 2160p disc, and import it to my library... Emby won’t simply transcode down to 1080p on those devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will, but we are talking about tone mapping the HDR. The server doesn't do that....yet. But if you use an HTPC with theater desktop, the player handles everything you need. Edited by Doofus