Emby Library "Folders" Option

Broc0liRab3
Go to solution Solved by One2Go,

Broc0liRab3

emby premier user here. after updating to version 4.0.2.0 i realized that i no longer even have an option in my library access to see the "folders" view. i use emby theater for windows. when viewing the home page section. i used to have all my libraries and then a "folders" option. id go in there and then for example in "Movies" i would have "star wars" then go into that and i would see all my star wars movies. now i dont have that option and im stuck viewing everything else like that as well. like my "007" folder. theres like 15-16 movies in that folder. now they are scattered all over my "movies" section in alphabetical order. i need the folders option back. im not willing to reorganize my entire folder hierarchy. what needs to be done?

PenkethBoy

Only library type i see with no "folder" view option is mixed content

all others have a folder option - from a quick look

Broc0liRab3

no. thats not what i meant. on the HOME page when you first login to a user name. you would have the "My Media" section. mine is cartoons, movies, tv shows, documentaries. etc...  WITH THOSE there was one that was blue and just said "folders". when i would go into that it would show me once again all the "My Media" sections (cartoons, movies, tv shows, documentaries. etc...) but when INSIDE there, movies would actually be grouped together as i have them on the hard drive for example

Die Hard>Die Hard 1

Die Hard 2

Die Hard 3

now when i go into my "moves" section straight from the homepage. the die hard movies are NOT condensed into the way i have it on my hard drive. so i have to look through twice as much and sometimes due to the alphabet,movies like Prometheus and Alien are not together. ones with the "A's" and the other down with the "P's". i was happy with having that "Folder" view because it allowed me to view my library as i have it set. please add this back or let me know which version i have to downgrade to.

PenkethBoy

Never seen that folder option in the last 2 years - did you have a very old install?

But when you go into Movies - at the top you have a folder view tab?

PenkethBoy

In display settings - you can set the default view when you go into Movies to be the folder tab

Also collections would achieve a similar result to what you want i think - you need to turn them on for each library as they are off by default now - and create them if you dont have any

Broc0liRab3

the folder tab is not what im looking for. thats not the same as the old "folders" option that used to be on the home page with the rest of the libraries. i dont want movie collections to be a seperate library than my regular movies library.

if i did have an older version im not sure which one it was. please let me know what version i need to downgrade to so i can achieve this because thats how i want to use it. ive tried EVERY other option emby has to offer on this 4.0.2.0 version and im not satisfied. i prefer the "folders" library option

PenkethBoy

collections are also viewable from within movies - see collections tab and not separate from your movies/Tv shows etc - and are all combined in the main collections view

As for the "blue folder" view - i have no idea as never seen that option - did you modify your install or had somebody do it for you?

Couple of points

Because of significant database changes you cant (not supprted) d/g your install from 4.x to say 3.x - you would have to rebuild from scratch with 3.x

Unless you are referring to the old legacy way of doing boxsets with an xml file and [boxset] in a folder name - thats no longer supported in 4.x

Do you have any screenshots by chance of the old look you want back? - somebody might recognise what you are referring to?

CBers

You're talking about a FOLDER view within the ET app ?

Perhaps @@Luke removed it ?

There is a FOLDER view in the Web Client.

Broc0liRab3

it probably is the old boxset way. all of my metadata are .xml files. i dont use emby for metadata. i prefer using "Media Center Master" its a program i paid for and am happy with. 

when i mentioned the "blue folders" thing. it was only blue because it had no poster. you know how emby does random colors for things with no poster.

i had it all working and set that way for a reason.

when i would go into my movies. id click on for example "jurassic park". it would then go into that folder and i would play my jurassic park theme music i added to the folder, and show me all the jurassic park movies in that folder. then i could pick which jurassic park movie i want to view.

basically i dont like how even though 2 or more movies are WITHIN a specific folder. they are now all brought to the surface and not the way i had them. why cant this be re-implemented?

CBers

it probably is the old boxset way. all of my metadata are .xml files. i dont use emby for metadata. i prefer using "Media Center Master" its a program i paid for and am happy with.

I also paid for MCM many moons ago, but I found Emby's metadata processing much better, but each to their own :)

Hopefully @@Luke sees this thread and can comment on your issue.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Devs would have to give you the specifics of why - but i think it was problematic to support and maintain - and i doubt its going to come back - but you might get lucky sometime in the future

if you use the new collections - you can achieve the same result - if you use the autobox set plugin its easy to have collections created for you

and turn on the group by collections feature from the ... menu beside filter at the top of the movies (and in other libraries) page

Yes its a change but it will give you a very similar experience and its supported :)

• Like 1

Broc0liRab3

i tried the group by collections. it still doesnt work. my collections are spread out across everything. completely unorganized. and believe me like most of you i spent HOURS organizing over 40 TB worth of stuff on an array

basically i need an admin to tell me if something is going to be done about this or do i really have to go back to the old version and rebuild

PenkethBoy

did you create a new collection manually or via autobox sets plugin

its not going to use your old - legacy - info

allseeing_i

ok then i would appreciate it if someone could just point me in the direction of which emby 3.* version i should get to get this back. i just had this all working right on saturday before i upgraded. now i regret upgrading because i prefer the way i was using it. if this can please somehow be implemented back in since it ALWAYS had it i would appreciate it. but now after hours and hours of organization and all tedious crap that came with it, its out the door cause everything is literally all over the place

EDIT*** i didnt realize i had another username. JSSDOCK is me

Edited by allseeing_i

• Solution
One2Go

My guess is that what you are experiencing is the legacy view that is no longer functioning in the server version 4.0.2.0 for libraries content = movies. I have a similar structure as you for example Top folder is "Star Wars" the sub folders are all the different Star Wars movies in separate folders and the bonus discs in separate folders. The same for other movie collections like Terminator. I have not created any collection sets, just folders with their associated sub folders.

After switching from version 3.* to 4.* I noticed this change for all libraries content = Movies it did not happen for libraries content = TV Shows or libraries content = Mixed. So I converted all my libraries content = movies to libraries content = Mixed. In EMC my movie wall now has all movies in alphabetical order with the sub folders having the individual movies. In the Web App all the movie folders that have sub folders are displayed first when sorting by folder followed by all individual movies containing just the media file.

Finally please search the forum for legacy view or BDMV folders and you will find this topic has been discussed quiet in detail with screen shots and various opinions. It seems that support for this type of viewing preference is minimal.

On a personal note, I also prefer MCM for meta data collection just my preference nothing else, in addition I also prefer the folders with sub folders to be displayed in alphabetical order containing the associated sub folders again just my preference of navigating and displaying nothing else. However my experience has been that after using the latest EMC client as well as server version 4.0.2.0 I had to revert back to server version 4.0.1.0 as that was the most stable version for my preferences of viewing, displaying organizing and my libraries.

I have about 1200 movies all in their own folders with their own images as well as the associated XML files. Using the Plug-In for reading XML files when converting the libraries from content = movies to content = mixed nothing was lost and it was not time consuming. You may want to try creating a small library and test if you create the library with content = mixed if that is to your liking and if it solves your problem of folder views.

• Like 2

The extra click folder layer has been resolved for Emby Server 4.1+, but only for newly created movie libraries going forward. 

Broc0liRab3

so One2go, your saying when you changed your library  = movies to library = mixed it fixed that? i just want to be clear. once you did that your "star wars" top folder was the only one showing and to see the actual movies you would have to go into that correct?

Happy2Play

Yes Mixed content type is present in Folder view.  So your nested folder are presented as the top item.  Same way the Folder tab does in a Movie Library.

Broc0liRab3

WOW thank you that worked... only issue now is some of those groups are missing the contents... for example. "star wars" top folder. i go in and i see all the movies. but i go into "superman" and its empty. is this a known issue as well?

Can you please describe the superman example in more detail? What is in that folder?

Broc0liRab3

it actually did show up. i had to do a "library scan" about 4 times all the way through before everything showed up. i noticed it does that sometimes but no worries. this software is basically flawless. im an IT engineer so im pretty fluent in troubleshooting software.

one of my hard drives went so im in the process of trying to recover that whole thing. but emby is working correctly now.

i did notice though however theme music no longer plays in top folders