sbadie1

So I am building my own personal server. Specs are: 

motherboard: X10SRL-f

CPU. E5-1620v3

RAM- 32gb ram ECC x2 16gb sticks

x2 120gb SSD card to hold OS

Noctura NH-U9Dx i4 CPU cooler. 

P2000 CPU(?)

I am wanting to know if I can do a few things.  I want to know if its worth buying the p2000 GPU to help transcode .265hevc and 4k files. My CPU does not have a built in GPU so no quicksync for me. Is this possible on linux using EMBY (how easy is it to set up?)?  Also not sure if this is the right forum but can I use ZFS for raidz2 for my HDD? 

bigverm23

So I am building my own personal server. Specs are: 

motherboard: X10SRL-f

CPU. E5-1620v3

RAM- 32gb ram ECC x2 16gb sticks

x2 120gb SSD card to hold OS

Noctura NH-U9Dx i4 CPU cooler. 

P2000 CPU(?)

I am wanting to know if I can do a few things.  I want to know if its worth buying the p2000 GPU to help transcode .265hevc and 4k files. My CPU does not have a built in GPU so no quicksync for me. Is this possible on linux using EMBY (how easy is it to set up?)?  Also not sure if this is the right forum but can I use ZFS for raidz2 for my HDD? 

depending on how many transcodes you require - the p2000 might even be overkill.  I use a GTX 1060 with great success in trancoding x265.

sbadie1

depending on how many transcodes you require - the p2000 might even be overkill. I use a GTX 1060 with great success in trancoding x265.

Probably like 1 or 2 at a time. If that. Most of the time I'll either be using it at home or at work. Sometimes will be using it overseas.

sbadie1

are there any plans to make both encoding and decoding available for H.265 (HEVC)?  I see that it is listed only under decoding, along with a lot of other file types.

sbadie1

So not sure if I am being obtuse or not.  As of right now from reading that link it is currently not supported for decoding just encoding, but you are currently working on it? Or it is currently supported? Again this is using a Quadro P2000 for transcoding.

Edited by sbadie1

If you want to encode to h265, that is an existing feature request you can lend your support to. Thanks.