LiveTv working well

pir8radio

pir8radio

I'm on Version 4.1.0.13 beta and live tv has been working pretty well lately..    Seems to start faster, within like 3 or 4 seconds, even on my iptv.    recordings have been working well.   No emby related issues that i have noticed, some freezing now and then but I don't know if that's emby or the iptv provider.    I canceled my directv a while ago, and emby has been my main tv source for 7 tv's in my house.

the only few things that are still missing is the ability for live tv recordings to stick with the user so everyone doesnt have to see what everyone else has recorded unless enabled to do so.   And the iptv channel changes that are coming down the pipe (tuner pooling, etc).

But just wanted to say thanks for the daily work that has been going into emby...   

• Like 1

pir8radio

7 TVs???  Holy crap, I thought I was bad with 3! :)

I'm counting tv's we hardly use, garage & bathroom lol...   tv's are so darn cheap now-a-days...

Edited by pir8radio

LOL, During NFL season I usually have 3 TVs in the living room, otherwise just 2. :)

I've got TVs everywhere as well including the garage and screen porch, kitchen, bedrooms, basement.

I too have been having really good luck with the latest beta as well using OTA, Cable and IPTV sources all mixed together which can be a bear to get setup.

@@pir8radio, I'm really curious, how the private recording feature should work?  Typically, I'd think this goes against how most users would use Emby as we usually share everything with all users (parental ratings and 3D or 4K stuff aside).

What happens when 2 or 3 different users want to record The Big Bang Theory?

Does the one episode get copied to 2 different places in case you allow users to delete content?

Do you need any size restraints for users like you would get with a STB so each user could be given 500 GB or so of storage?

How about automatic purging so oldest content gets deleted for new material?

Should all non-admin users only get to see their own content but with an override by the admin to make it "global"?

Lots of questions. :)

pir8radio

LOL, During NFL season I usually have 3 TVs in the living room, otherwise just 2. :)

I've got TVs everywhere as well including the garage and screen porch, kitchen, bedrooms, basement.

I too have been having really good luck with the latest beta as well using OTA, Cable and IPTV sources all mixed together which can be a bear to get setup.

@@pir8radio, I'm really curious, how the private recording feature should work?  Typically, I'd think this goes against how most users would use Emby as we usually share everything with all users (parental ratings and 3D or 4K stuff aside).

What happens when 2 or 3 different users want to record The Big Bang Theory?

Does the one episode get copied to 2 different places in case you allow users to delete content?

Do you need any size restraints for users like you would get with a STB so each user could be given 500 GB or so of storage?

How about automatic purging so oldest content gets deleted for new material?

Should all non-admin users only get to see their own content but with an override by the admin to make it "global"?

Lots of questions. :)

Legitimate questions....      with lots of follow up problems... lol        The problems I have, if i record something in my house, and my father at their location watches it then deletes it, now i have never seen it and its gone...     But he needs the ability to clean up after himself when making recordings.      I'm not sure how to handle it...   but i would say NO to multiple of the same recordings, the management has to be on the emby side,   it needs to track  if user 1, 2, & 3 set a show to record, one copy gets made, it shows up in all three peoples recorded TV, user 1 marks it as deleted it is removed from their recorded tv, but the file still exists and shows for user 2 & 3,   it only gets deleted when all three users select delete, then the actual file is removed.    More of a live tv recording tagging/tracking feature then i guess?    lol

Yep, glad you see where I'm coming from with the questions.  Saying you want something is one thing but how it gets implemented can be quite a different thing. :)

The key for this very legit request is asking for the functionality we'll need.  There have been other similar requests as well.  Some requests could even be conflicting with each other so it'll be important to implement something flexible that will meet everyone's needs.

The requests are all over the board on related topics from where to actually store certain series recordings to who can/can't see them or control the DVR recording to related issues of assigned tuners and prioritizing them.

If for example you only have 2 tuners and a user sets up recordings on Thursday night to record The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon (1 tuner needed for both of them on CBS) and also Supernatural & Lagacies on CW (2nd tuner needed),  Now what happens when the wife (more important then the first user :) ) wants to record Grey's Anatomy and Station 19 on ABC but no tuners are available?

So there are lots of things that need to be thought about like how to rank priorities for users as well as tuners and how existing recordings and Live TV play into it.  Who gets access to the recordings is probably one of the easier parts of this.  LOL

arche

If for example you only have 2 tuners and a user sets up recordings on Thursday night to record The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon (1 tuner needed for both of them on CBS) and also Supernatural & Lagacies on CW (2nd tuner needed),  Now what happens when the wife (more important then the first user :) ) wants to record Grey's Anatomy and Station 19 on ABC but no tuners are available?

Maybe pull a page from the cable companies play book, when all available tuners are taken, you are auto switched to one of the recording channels?

arche

What legal IPTV sources are you guys using? Anything good out there?

Would like opinions on this also. I'm using a HDHomeRun box with a cable card. Still debating legal IPTV for trial purposes. 

pir8radio

What legal IPTV sources are you guys using? Anything good out there?

Would like opinions on this also. I'm using a HDHomeRun box with a cable card. Still debating legal IPTV for trial purposes. 

I looked REALLY hard for quite a long time, there are no legal IPTV services that work with emby.. You would have to go out and find individual channel streams and you could put together your own playlist of sorts.   But all of the legal IPTV "services" require you to use their viewing client so they have full control of the service, this is so people can't easily share and resell their service.   That said there are two really good questionable services,  One service is the name of the bad guy from star wars, the other starts with the letter B..   Do some googling, you might find something if you look for "one stop streams" that might get you started down the rabbit hole.  

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

lightsout

I looked REALLY hard for quite a long time, there are no legal IPTV services that work with emby.. You would have to go out and find individual channel streams and you could put together your own playlist of sorts. But all of the legal IPTV "services" require you to use their viewing client so they have full control of the service, this is so people can't easily share and resell their service. That said there are two really good questionable services, One service is the name of the bad guy from star wars, the other starts with the letter B.. Do some googling, you might find something if you look for "one stop streams" that might get you started down the rabbit hole.

For sure I have used some of those in the past. Was just wondering with all the talk here if there were legit methods I wasn't aware of.

I looked REALLY hard for quite a long time, there are no legal IPTV services that work with emby.. You would have to go out and find individual channel streams and you could put together your own playlist of sorts.   But all of the legal IPTV "services" require you to use their viewing client so they have full control of the service, this is so people can't easily share and resell their service.   That said there are two really good questionable services,  One service is the name of the bad guy from star wars, the other starts with the letter B..   Do some googling, you might find something if you look for "one stop streams" that might get you started down the rabbit hole.  

The only "legal" service (as of now) that works with Emby is Silicon Dust Premium TV.  But their upstream provider has a law suite against it so even this service's future is questionable.  PTV also requires the user has an OTA tuner in order to receive the IPTV so it's not the same as what most people consider traditional IPTV service using an M3U file.

Pretty much every other IPTV service you hear people mention isn't going to be legal no matter how popular it is.  However at $15 or so bucks a month a lot of people give them a try anyway.