4.1.0.10 where is it?

sluggo45

sluggo45

Long story short:

Been running the Emby Server beta on FreeNAS for some time, upgrade to 4.1.0.12, which apparently is based on FreeBSD 12, which FreeNAS is not. This broke all kinds of things.

Trying to revert to 4.1.0.10, which worked fine (I should know better) but - not available. I can't go back to the non-beta release either because the db is incompatible. What are my options here?

I would just use the freenas plugin now that 4.0 is available. So yes that means stable and no beta.

sluggo45

I would just use the freenas plugin now that 4.0 is available. So yes that means stable and no beta.

Yes but that means starting over from scratch. I can't re-use my db from the 4.1 beta with 4.0.

rjua22

I have the same problem. Yesterday I tried to upgrade to emby 4.1.0.12 (beta) and noticed that it requires FreeBSD12. I selected "no, do not proceed" on confirmation screen during package installation, but it continued anyway and now I've ended up with a broken installation!!

My previous emby installation was based on v4.1.0.3 (beta). I can't find any older emby package within the beta-tree on GitHub that is compatible with FreeBSD 11.2 (FreeNAS). Some kind of archive would be really helpful!

// Is an existing emby 4.1.0.12 beta installation (/var/db/emby-server) compatible to emby 4.0.2.0 stable or would a switch mean to set everything up from scratch??

sluggo45

4.1.0.x library.db is not compatible with 4.0.2.x. You can't go back and need to start over.

Or, in my case, give up. I'm partially deaf and have been using the Emby betas because there are numerous subtitle improvements being tested. I didn't realize I'd end up in this situation on Freenas, with both no path forward for betas (since they are now FreeBSD 12 based) and no way to revert to stable without redoing everything. And not even an archive of the last beta release to tide me over until I figure out the right path.

rjua22

I really can't believe no one has a cached file "emby-server-freebsd_4.1.0.10_amd64.txz" or even a bit older that works with FreeBSD 11.2. I need it urgently so I can fix my broken emby installation to check out all settings when starting from scratch.

I really can't believe no one has a cached file "emby-server-freebsd_4.1.0.10_amd64.txz" or even a bit older that works with FreeBSD 11.2. I need it urgently so I can fix my broken emby installation to check out all settings when starting from scratch.

Why not just install from freebsd ports?

Marcelo

I also updated to the latest beta .14 and had problems. 

It was not that hard to solve.

Download  "emby-server-freebsd_4.0.2.0_amd64" from github.

Grab the files inside the "usr\local\lib\emby-server\lib\" folder and replace the files inside the same folder on freenas.

Do the same for the files inside \usr\local\lib\emby-server\bin\

When you do it the server will play all the content again. 

So it'll be on the latest beta server version but fully functional.

Edited by Marcelo

MRobi

What about running FreeBSD 12 in a VM? It's the only potential solution I can think of, because as far as I know FreeNAS 12 is still just in the planning stages. 

Glad I saw this thread so I don't do the update.

sluggo45

FreeNAS users are cut off from Emby server betas now, essentially. Workarounds like doing the userspace swap from 4.0.2.0 or using a FreeBSD 12 VM are possible, but not really great solutions.

I don't know why this change happened with the recent betas. Even a lot of pure FreeBSD users aren't on 12, and FreeNAS won't be on 12 for probably another year, at least. I can't imagine the population of Emby users/beta testers on FreeBSD 12 is larger than those on FreeNAS or FreeBSD 11.x. I would think the latter group would dwarf the former.

Basically, if you are using the beta on FreeNAS it's time to figure out a way to back out, which almost certainly involves blowing away your library.db and starting over. Or do the lib/bin swap suggested above, which will probably work until they change something else.

As someone who's been testing and providing feedback for a long time on the FreeNAS betas this is a pretty disappointing turn of events.

Edited by sluggo45

Because what happens is for the standalone packages, whatever version of FreeBSD we build our packages against, everyone not running that exact same version will have problems due to mis-matches of dependency versions. This is a troubleshooting nightmare so I just don't see how we can continue moving forward in this manner.

The solution is installing via the ports methods or freenas plugin, unfortunately this means stable only as it's not going to be feasible to manually submit betas given their frequency.

We are open to suggestions to the above problem if you have any. Thanks.

rjua22

I also updated to the latest beta .14 and had problems. 

It was not that hard to solve.

Download  "emby-server-freebsd_4.0.2.0_amd64" from github.

Grab the files inside the "usr\local\lib\emby-server\lib\" folder and replace the files inside the same folder on freenas.

Do the same for the files inside \usr\local\lib\emby-server\bin\

When you do it the server will play all the content again. 

So it'll be on the latest beta server version but fully functional.

Thanks, that will help me. Great idea, unfortunately I have no time to try out every possible solution myself. Really glad you did it!

sluggo45

Because what happens is for the standalone packages, whatever version of FreeBSD we build our packages against, everyone not running that exact same version will have problems due to mis-matches of dependency versions. This is a troubleshooting nightmare so I just don't see how we can continue moving forward in this manner.

The solution is installing via the ports methods or freenas plugin, unfortunately this means stable only as it's not going to be feasible to manually submit betas given their frequency.

We are open to suggestions to the above problem if you have any. Thanks.

I think you really just have two; FreeNAS, which goes along at a slow and relatively stable pace using FreeBSD 11.x, and FreeBSD 12. Target the stable release for each and you've only got two sets of bins/libs to worry about. I think it's reasonable to expect testers to test on the stable, up to date versions of both, otherwise you run in to the nightmare mis-match scenario you describe which is useless for beta feedback anyway.

The above trick of using bin/lib from 4.0.2.0 works with FreeNAS currently works, but as you occasionally patch those I imagine at some point it will cause a problem, if in fact it isn't already. However having a "FreeNAS" and "FreeBSD" version for testing makes sense to me particularly because you're likely to have more of the former than the latter.

makarai

@@Luke I was away for quite some time and i am still running 4.0.1.10 i believe. however, i saw that with newer beta versions you decided that FreeBSD 12.0 should be used. May I ask for the reason! Also For FreeNAS users that effectively the latest full beta is 4.0.1.10, as teh 12.0 FreeBSD base will be implemented in FreeNAS by the end of the year. So what's the gameplan until then?

Edited by makarai

sluggo45

@@makarai My suggestion above is, if they want/need to support FreeBSD 12 for the latter users, then do a build for that and one for FreeNAS, which is still based on FreeBSD 11. No need to get more complicated than that.

Was a little surprised myself as I suspect there are many more FreeNAS users than FreeBSD 12 users for Emby server.

also, this is the 2nd time I see someone mentioning 4.x is avaible as a FreeNAS plugin, so I simply ask "how"? I just installed a fresh one this week and it still says 3.5.3, so what is the trick to install the 4.0.2 via the FreeNAS plugin system as Luke mentioned here above?

makarai

also, this is the 2nd time I see someone mentioning 4.x is avaible as a FreeNAS plugin, so I simply ask "how"? I just installed a fresh one this week and it still says 3.5.3, so what is the trick to install the 4.0.2 via the FreeNAS plugin system as Luke mentioned here above?

At @@Luke and @@Tupsi,  Yes the 4.0.2.0 stable has reached Freshports https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/emby-server which is used for the plugin service in FreeNAS, HOWEVER, FreeNAS has not updated their Plugins repository. This will happen most likely by the end of March. So until then, people can not install the recent stable via the ports tree in freenas.

makarai

@@makarai My suggestion above is, if they want/need to support FreeBSD 12 for the latter users, then do a build for that and one for FreeNAS, which is still based on FreeBSD 11. No need to get more complicated than that.

Was a little surprised myself as I suspect there are many more FreeNAS users than FreeBSD 12 users for Emby server.

I agree. I feel there are many more freenas users than freebsd users, at least the vocal/with problems.

At @@Luke and @@Tupsi,  Yes the 4.0.2.0 stable has reached Freshports https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/emby-server which is used for the plugin service in FreeNAS, HOWEVER, FreeNAS has not updated their Plugins repository. This will happen most likely by the end of March. So until then, people can not install the recent stable via the ports tree in freenas.

thanks for the clarification. So if I get this right, and at this point I am still a freeBSD newbie, I could as well just make an empty jail and pgk install emby-server in there and get the thing running? Or does the "port" thing always refers to the part in freeBSD where everything has to be compiled on the target machine first?

makarai

thanks for the clarification. So if I get this right, and at this point I am still a freeBSD newbie, I could as well just make an empty jail and pgk install emby-server in there and get the thing running? Or does the "port" thing always refers to the part in freeBSD where everything has to be compiled on the target machine first?

yes you can spin up a freebsd vm and install from the ports tree, as this is directly fetched from the recent portstree. Only the Plugin part of FreeNAS takes some time.

I agree. I feel there are many more freenas users than freebsd users, at least the vocal/with problems.

it's possible, but painful. The challenge is that our build server has to have a separate VM just to build for FreeBSD. So now, in order to solve this that means we need another new VM.

makarai

it's possible, but painful. The challenge is that our build server has to have a separate VM just to build for FreeBSD. So now, in order to solve this that means we need another new VM.

It really depends on how your community is composed. Do you have a lot of freebsd 12 users? or are the majority users freenas users.

MRobi

Just throwing my name in there as another freenas user. I think the large majority of users I've seen in this section are freenas users. 

Excuse my ignorance here, but if all future beta's are built to require freebsd 12, does that mean future stable releases will require the same? So with this move, as freenas users, are we effectively stuck with the current build until freenas itself moves to freebsd 12 in the next year?