Voice command locking up Emby

clarkss12

clarkss12

Using version AndroidTv 1.6.91g on my Nvidia Shield locks up my hardware.  I always use my voice controlled remote to find information about the actors/actresses and up until the latest version, everything worked perfectly.  But now, when I use the voice command on my remote, it works for the first command, then the box freezes for about a minute.  I have to ** kill ** the Emby app for it to work again.  This is using my Nvidia Shield box with stock remote AND a different RF remote, did the same thing.

Tested on my Jetstream AGT418 with version, AndroidTv 1.6.90g, everything worked perfectly.  I updated to version 1.6.91 and bingo, samething happens, the box locks up.  I have to reboot the box by removing the power connector.........

So, there is an issue with the latest version........

Can others verify what I have found..  While in Emby, use your voice function on your remote and see if it locks up your box.  

Scott310

I am also seeing somewhat similar behavior on fire tv cube.  It doesn't freeze up the app but it is ignoring the standard playback voice commands i.e. pause, play, skip...

I am also seeing somewhat similar behavior on fire tv cube.  It doesn't freeze up the app but it is ignoring the standard playback voice commands i.e. pause, play, skip...

That is a different issue as Amazon has a completely different interface for voice.

clarkss - I cannot reproduce this.  Voice (to Google Assistant) appears to be working fine for me...

My bad @@ebr.  I didn't mean to hijack.  Should I start a new thread?

No, it is a known limitation right now.  Amazon has a proprietary interface for these things.

Thanks.

Scott310

No, it is a known limitation right now.  Amazon has a proprietary interface for these things.

Thanks.

I worked great for a while then it started to get really spotty and then stopped working.

I worked great for a while then it started to get really spotty and then stopped working.

Well, that's very interesting.

I honestly don't know why Amazon doesn't make it just work "out of the box" for all apps.  All it has to do is simulate keypresses to the active app and, viola, it would work.  But they chose to take some sort of proprietary API approach to this.

Scott310

Wow that is interesting.  So you are saying that you as an app developer have no control over how the commands effect your app?  Do you have to contact them and have them make changes?

No, it is just a different way of programming things that we haven't gotten to yet on this platform.  You're the first to mention it in quite a while so it kind of fell off our radar.

I'll put it back on :).

Scott310

Thanks I can't express enough how bad I need this to work. lol  Its rough trying to explain to the family that talking to the tv does not work on emby lol.

Edit: I have never trried to use any other voice commands on emby via the fire tv other than general playback ones.  Those i think are most important to begin with.  pause, play, rewind, resume, etc..

Edited by Scott310

I have a question for you though - Does scrolling and selecting by voice work?  That is something that Amazon has to enable for our app.

Scott310

I just checked and select and scrolling do in fact not work. I just get a blanket error response like "Sorry I dont know that".

Scott310

I can see how you might have thought that people my not use the voice command much say with a fire stick but with the fire tv cube people tend to talk directly to the cube alot more than using the remote.  At leas myself and my family do.

clarkss12

The voice command it's no longer locking up my devices. I did a reboot of my server yesterday. It must be the server that caused the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Scott310

Just to report back, pause and resume are working again with voice on fire tv cube.  It seems that pause and resume work out of the box with most apps.  From doing a little research it seems that when it stopped working for me it was also happening with other apps as well and amazon fixed the issue. I tested as many voice commands as I could think of and it seems emby will only respond to pause and resume. One command my family uses often (with small children) is "rewind to the beginning" or "start over".  When I use it on emby, I get "emby doesn't support that".

Just a heads up and I wanted to report back.

• Like 1