MBT Stuttering with 1080p material using MadVR

mombasa123

mombasa123

Have been a hardcore XBMC user for a while now but finally realised tha the internal player is pretty average when i got my brand new TV. So been playing with MPC-HC/MadVR etc and deffo see a big improvement.

Trouble is they are a pain to use compared to XBMC so got very excited when I came across MBT with LAV/MadVR built in.

Sadly, I am seeing major stuttering playing back 1080p material with MadVR enabled. MPC-HC & JRiver with MadVR are fine.

PC is Intel i5/HD2500.

MadVR settings are Luma : DXVA2 (GPU). Chroma : Bicubic 75. Doesn't make a difference if i use lower settings.

Both MBT and LAV set to use Intel QuickSync.

Dunno if I have missed something somewhere. Any ideas please? 

johnhb

Same here (Dev build 3.0.5233.39319). Chances are it's a known issue.

I've also noticed if you change the Lav audio settings (right clicking in taskbar) they are not saved between subsequent plays and this build doesn't seem to integrate reclock...

space2001

I have the same issue but i stopped the video and started to play it again and it played fine after

Ghostm

Seems at the moment mbt with madvr needs a decent card. My 100 dollar ati 5770 seems to work fine, my A10 5800 integrated graphics has some trouble but plays well in mpc-hc.

I will ask the guy who is working on madvr if he does not see the thread as i had a few issues as well what the issue maybe, but im testing the wasapi filter right now for him so it might be a few weeks as he kindly added support for that upon request. 

I get the feeling though mbt is a different beast, does jriver out curiosity bring up and allow for an overlayed osd with various features (Mbt has artwork logo, and you can bring up cast, chapters,  ect..) when using madvr? I wonder if that can slow it down and i always figured full screen exclusive might not allow for those features. 

Edited by Ghostm

mombasa123

JRiver does have an overlayed OSD. Works fine with MadVR as does MPC-HC obviously. I have switched to JRiver for my BluRay remuxes and still use XBM for less critical stuff.

Looks like MBT has some way to go before it can br even considered as a replacement for XBMC :( Lots of potential tho ...... Will be very happy when its usable. Sadly not so yet.

Edit : confirmed that LAV filters are being used so that's a red herring

Edited by mombasa123

johnhb

MBT really needs it's own refresh rate matching for those with no interest in MadVR (and/or lesser GPUs).

Not sure how/why J River + MadVR on the same system is working ok. Maybe it's not using all the settings properly.

Edited by johnhb

Ghostm

JRiver does have an overlayed OSD. Works fine with MadVR as does MPC-HC obviously. I have switched to JRiver for my BluRay remuxes and still use XBM for less critical stuff.

Looks like MBT has some way to go before it can br even considered as a replacement for XBMC :( Lots of potential tho ...... Will be very happy when its usable. Sadly not so yet.

Edit : confirmed that LAV filters are being used so that's a red herring

Are you using exclusive mode in jriver with madvr? I thought the gui was not supported in exclusive mode but you do get a performance boost. Meant to say gui originally instead of osd.

I also received better performance with hardware accel disabled at the moment, i dont know if that would help you at all.

Edited by Ghostm

Ghostm

MBT really needs it's own refresh rate matching for those with no interest in MadVR (and/or lesser GPUs).

Not sure how/why J River + MadVR on the same system is working ok. Maybe it's not using all the settings properly.

I would like to see this as well, not sure if its on the agenda or not though.

A8HTPC

Probably on the far back burner for now. I would just use the default settings in MadVr and you graphics chip should be fine.  Make sure your GPU and CPU Queue is low. I noticed the higher it is on mine, the more the movie skips around.

Edited by A8HTPC

johnhb

Probably on the far back burner for now. I would just use the default settings in MadVr and you graphics chip should be fine.  Make sure your GPU and CPU Queue is low. I noticed the higher it is on mine, the more the movie skips around.

Hmmm... well that takes us full circle back to the original problem :)

mombasa123

Are you using exclusive mode in jriver with madvr? I thought the gui was not supported in exclusive mode but you do get a performance boost. Meant to say gui originally instead of osd.

I also received better performance with hardware accel disabled at the moment, i dont know if that would help you at all.

Yeh i turned off HW Acceleration and went to the lowest setting and made zero difference. I haven't got JRiver running in Exclusive mode. Works brilliantly. Tbh, if JRiver did boxsets i would switch to it and probably fork out the dosh after the trial run - may do so anyways. It would be a killer media centre if they spruced up the Video UI to be a fraction as functional as XBMC because Red October HQ playback is awesome and i love the 10ft Theater view.

MBT would be my preference though if the MadVR playback is sorted and it has the sheer ease of use of XBMC which just works. Things thai take for granted like intuitive navigaion, subtitle download & placement, full functional remote MCE config, Pulse 8 etc.

Edited by mombasa123

JDizzy

Yeh i turned off HW Acceleration and went to the lowest setting and made zero difference. I haven't got JRiver running in Exclusive mode. Works brilliantly. Tbh, if JRiver did boxsets i would switch to it and probably fork out the dosh after the trial run - may do so anyways. It would be a killer media centre if they spruced up the Video UI to be a fraction as functional as XBMC because Red October HQ playback is awesome and i love the 10ft Theater view.

MBT would be my preference though if the MadVR playback is sorted and it has the sheer ease of use of XBMC which just works. Things thai take for granted like intuitive navigaion, subtitle download & placement, full functional remote MCE config, Pulse 8 etc.

Until things get sorted out with the MBT + MadVR I have gone the route of using JRiver as en external player. Basically using MBT's nice GUI with JRiver's Red October HQ playback. For some reason I just can't get smooth playback using MBT + MadVR. I also like XBMC because it just works out of the box, but believe JRiver's video quality has them all beat at this time.

Edited by JDizzy

JDizzy

Care to share your process to make JRiver ROHQ your external player?

I have all my movies ripped into a MKV format and I am using JRiver Media Center 19

In MBT basically, just choose External Player

Media type: Video

Tick whatever video types you want MBT to send out to external player (as I said, mine are all mkv)

Media player path: C:\Windows\System32\MC19.exe

Commandline arguments: {PATH}

Tick force close  player on stop button (I really think this has no bearing in this particular case)

When you choose a movie in MBT it should go direct to JRiver player and start playing movie.

You can use all the JRiver player settings within JRIver. (and it should remember your settings)

Now, here is the catch.....

I have a button on my remote that will Close the foreground application (in this case JRiver) I use an MCE compatible remote and it is the bottom left button (marked "Close")

This closes JRiver and saves your bookmark to Resume watching the next time you open that movie (with JRiver), and also the settings for that movie.

I have found it I use the Stop button, it will close the movie and dump me into the JRiver setup screen therefore I use the Close button whenever I want to go back to MBT.

Of course, you have to set up JRiver to open in Theater View... Tools>Options>Start-up         Location: "Start" and Mode: "Theater View"

and also Ask if you want to Resume.             Tools>Options>Behavior.... Resume playback using bookmarks: "Ask"

Also Tools>Options>General>Behavior>Jump on play (video) to "Display View"

I am assuming you have JRiver somewhat setup already.

Hope this helps....

Edited by JDizzy
  • Like 1

steelman1991

Hi JDizzy - thanks for the share. Yes I have JRiver installed and would use it for all my playback need (natively) if only its display mode was a little more eye-catching.

Had totally the wrong path, which wasn't helping. Though I have everything set as you, I can't get JRiver to open in fullscreen. Will play with it some more see what happens

Thanks again.

Sorted fullscreen - Options\General\Behaviour\Jump to windowed display mode when playback is started externally (uncheck).

Do you have a script running to 'close' - or merely the command from your remote. Certainly no 'close' button on an official MCE remote. 

Edited by steelman1991

JDizzy

Do you have a script running to 'close' - or merely the command from your remote. Certainly no 'close' button on an official MCE remote. 

The remote has a close button that does the trick.

I remember trying to use JRiver while using another media center type program and came across the problem of not being able to completly close JRiver to exit back to the media center. If none of the buttons on remote work, I'm sure there is a solution out there. I believe also that you can program buttons through JRiver that might work.

Been around and around over at JRiver trying to get them to upgrade their skinning engine but to no avail. There are a couple skins around that are ok but get old after a while. (and editing them is quite a challenge.... for me at least!)

Edited by JDizzy

mombasa123

Completely agree - if JRiver did stuff like boxsets and nice Theatre based skins with more functionality I would switch - but that's what MBT is supposed to be all about right?

Good tip about using JRiver as external player - I will give it a spin.

JDizzy

Just curious if you got JRiver going, how it worked, and also how you close it after the movie.

mombasa123

Got the latest build.

So I disabled MadVR and tried with the internal player. Get slight stuttering with or without h/w acceleration - ie its not smooth.

Re-enabled MadVR and its a total disaster. A lot worse then before - not just stuttering nut jumping around all over the place.

So latest build has made it worse.

My HTPC is Intel i5 with onboard HD2500 GPU

mombasa123

I setup JRiver as the external media player - works very well. Don't have any issues closing it etc - is pretty seamless. Do miss the XBMC functionality though ....