Can't read a directory tree when one directory is unreadable

VirtualEmby

VirtualEmby

Trying to setup Emby to see if I like it better than Plex, and this one cost me a couple hours of head scratching...

I have a library tree of several directories, one of those directories is where I stage new movies.  It's only readable to me so the kids can't watch them before I can :)

This works fine with Plex, but Emby chokes on the entire library, and won't scan a single directory if even one of them is unreadable...

I consider this a bug.  If Emby encounters an unreadable directory it should skip it and move on.

Hi there, we're sorry to hear about this. Can you please go over an example? thanks !

VirtualEmby

Sure....

mkdir top

mkdir top/dir1

mkdir top/dir2

mkdir top/dir3

chown -R mediauser:mediagroup top

chown youruser:yourgroup top/dir3

chmod -R a+rx top

chmod go-rx top/dir3

Copy a movie into say, top/dir2

Now create a movie library with a path of top.

Emby won't see any movies put in dir1 or dir2.

This works fine with Plex, it just skips the unreadable directory.  Emby bombs out the entire library,

2019-03-09 16:49:38.329 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 172.16.2.27. Time: 3ms. https://media.:8920/emby/Library/VirtualFolders

2019-03-09 16:49:38.496 Error App: Error resolving path /export/home2/media/movies/Locked

*** Error Report ***

Version: 4.0.2.0

Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-rpm_{version}_x86_64.rpm

Operating system: Unix 4.19.4.300

64-Bit OS: True

64-Bit Process: True

User Interactive: True

Processor count: 4

Program data path: /var/lib/emby

Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/export/home2/media/movies/Locked' is denied. ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Edited by VirtualEmby