512MB RAM not enough for Emby 4.0.x?

philby
Go to solution Solved by PenkethBoy,

philby

I recently switched from Plex to Emby, and am now in the process of rebuilding my media libraries, using what in theory is Emby's far superior/more flexible metadata engine.

Apart from re-identifying a few movies, one of the main tasks is changing some movies metadata language to the original french, german, italian and spanish.

This is quite laborious:

• Movie > Edit metadata > Preferred Metadata Language: set to french/german/whatever
  • Movie > Replace all metadata > Replace existing images

However, results have been mixed at best – it sometimes works, sometimes only the movies primary image gets changed, but neither its title nor description, some movies get really mixed-language content, and sometimes nothing whatsoever seems to happen.

Is there a recommended setup to get this to work reliably?

Or is my DS416j with its 412MB RAM underpowered for Emby 4? (Plex worked absolutely flawlessly on the same machine, same media libraries; it generally used quite a bit less RAM).

post-137752-0-56588400-1552132600_thumb.png

• Solution
PenkethBoy

Have you checked what the metadata providers have for different languages i.e. TVDB and TMDb - for your content?

IIRC Emby will check for different languages - but if they don't exist falls back to english

Language tags also apply to the images - if they are not tagged with a language - then an English version is probably (not tried this) downloaded so you get an image rather than none.

• Like 1

Also do you need to override the language per movie? You can also do it at the library level.

solabc16

Hello @@philby

The DS416j should provide a reasonable experience, let us know how you get on and whether there are any specific issues your are experiencing as far as performance is concerned.

Best

- James

philby

Have you checked what the metadata providers have for different languages i.e. TVDB and TMDb - for your content?

IIRC Emby will check for different languages - but if they don't exist falls back to english

Language tags also apply to the images - if they are not tagged with a language - then an English version is probably (not tried this) downloaded so you get an image rather than none.

I think that's what was actually happening. There was a metadata set to "german" somewhere in the Emby Metadata tree ("Everything" > Library > Single movie, if I get this correctly), and also some metadata providers had to be reversed at the Library level (Open Movie DB is apparently not multi-language).

While I really like the metadata flexibility of Emby (and am very much looking forward to a hopeful extension of music metadata with basics like "Composer" and possibly even "Conductor" for classical music), it does make for some complexity.

Also do you need to override the language per movie? You can also do it at the library level.

Having multiple "Movie" libraries for multiple languages feels quite primitive and just wrong to me, TBH. Emby 3 was able to display multiple libraries as one, but unfortunately that's gone with Emby 4, if I understand correctly.