Series recordings are using channel number instead of id?

pcm2a

I added a few channels into my m3u/epg and after import I noticed that all of my favorites were gone. Are favorite channels tied to the m3u channel number instead of the channel id? Maybe this could be configurable so you could change channel 1 to channel 100 but still keep it as a favorite?

Any changes to the m3u causes the favorites to be lost?

My guess here is that series recordings are based on channel numbers and not channel ids? If there are changes to the m3u channel numbers then it breaks any recordings by channel and also makes it impossible to select a specific channel on an existing recording.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Have a m3u/epg with channel CBS

2. Schedule a series recording on CBS

3. Go into the Series tab and select your show

4. There is a label called Channels with a dropdown in it will be two things

---> CBS Your Title

---> All Channels

5. Edit your m3u/epg and add in a second CBS channel (maybe two regional locations, one HD one FHD, etc)

6. Refresh the m3u/epg

7. Go into the Series tab and select your show

8. There is a Channels dropdown select it

Expected result:

9. There will be three options:

---> CBS First channel

---> CBS Second channel

---> All Channels

Actual results:

9. There are two options:

---> One channel

---> All Channels

5c82f615ac0db_ScreenShot20190308at35819P

What is One channel? I tried selecting it and it still shows that my show is going to record on both ABCs.

Now let's take this one step further with the following changes:

10. Move the new CBS channel so it's numbering does not affect the original CBS.

11. Put the original CBS back to the channel it was

12. Refresh the m3u/epg

13. Notice that in the series recording the channel is back!

5c82f696a00a4_ScreenShot20190308at50812P

• Like 1

They are based on channel id's.

However, in some cases, the channel id's could be based on channel numbers if your m3u channels do not contain tvg-id.

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="CBSWCBS.us" tvg-name="CBS NY US" tvg-logo="http://static.iptv-epg.com/us/CBSWBBMTV.us.png" 
tvg-chno="59" channel-id="59" group-title="UNITED STATES",US: CBS EAST | HD 
<programme start="20190309020000 +0000" stop="20190309030000 +0000" channel="CBSWCBS.us">
    <title lang="en">Hawaii Five-0</title>
    <sub-title lang="en">Ai no i ka 'ape he mane'o no ko ka nuku. (He who eats 'ape</sub-title>
    <desc lang="en">Tani and Junior go undercover at a gym to track down a deadly batch of steroids that's killing users, before the drugs claim any more victims. Also, Danny and MacGarrett sub as bodyguards for Danny's high maintenance ex-mother-in-law, Amanda Savage, a wildly famous romance novelist with whom he has never gotten along</desc>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">8.18.</episode-num>
    <premiere/>
    <subtitles/>
    <rating system="US">
      <value>TV14</value>
    </rating>
  </programme> 

Here is an example from my m3u and my epg. When I renumber the channels only tvg-chno and channel-id changes to another number. After that the series is messed up unless I have it set on "All Channels". Also, when I set it back to the original channel number everything is back to normal.

Edited by pcm2a

OK yes this is expected behavior if channel-id changes. That is actually the first priority source of what becomes the internal channel id within Emby. If that's not there, then tvg-id is used.

So if you are changing channel-id, then there's no way for Emby to know that it's the same channel as before.

Thanks, I will test that out and report back. Should be pretty easy to replace all of the channel-id with the tvg-id.

One question, if channel-id="59" is the key item how is it matching that to the epg which does not have the channel number anywhere? Is it using the channel-id for scheduling and the tvg-id for other things?

<channel id="CBSWCBS.us">
    <display-name lang="en">CBS NY US</display-name>
    <url>http://www.yo.tv</url>
  <icon src="http://static.iptv-epg.com/us/CBSWCBS.us.png"/>
</channel>

It's still able to match with tvg-id.  I think you want to just remove your channel-id attributes from your m3u. It is redundant. You already have tvg-id and tvg-chno

I am now stripping out the channel-id. I had to re-setup my favorites and will have to re-setup my scheduled recordings but I assume now it will be future proof against change number changes. I'll try adding a new channel later tonight to see what happens.