Mount Recorded Folder or move to new shared folder?

Pain

When setting up Emby in package center I used the default recording path. I have way to many recorded shows and I have no clue how to move them. So I was thinking I could mount the folder that has all the TV recordings so I can access the folder from my PC shared folder? How would I do that or how can I move the recording to a new recording shared folder?

Thanks for any help!

FrostByte

Are these recording folders on the NAS shared and can you see them using File Station app on the NAS?

First of all I'm a full-blown Synology noob coming from Windows. The folders are on the NAS yes, and I cannot find the record folder in file station. It's not set to shared as I don't know how to find it. That's the main reason I want to change the folder to a shared folder so I can change and add shows if needed from my Windows computer.

Edited by Pain

FrostByte

Np, mine is my first NAS and I'm still learning also.  So hopefully this won't be too much of the blind leading the blind :)

The best file explorer type program I've seen that will allow you to navigate and see all folders from Windows is WinSCP.

https://winscp.net/eng/index.php

After downloading WinSCP enable SSH on the NAS

Control Panel

Terminal & SNMP

Terminal Tab

Check Enable SSH

Then you can install/start WinSCP and configure your login

File Protocol is SCP

Use Hostname and SSH port from NAS

For the username I would use one with admin privileges on your NAS

WinSCP default has two panes.  One side is your Windows box, the other is the NAS.  You should be able to move your recordings around from any folder on your NAS, or drag them to your Windows machine 

If you need any more detailed instructions on setting up WinSCP let me know

Thank you that worked just fine. I just don't no where the default recording path is or how to find it? Thank you for your help..

• Like 1

this is the path you are looking for

/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/data/livetv/recordings

the easiest way is to mount it:

1. create a share folder Call it Emby as a base folder for all of the Emby folder you may want to mount in future

2. create a folder recordings inside Emby folder you just created

3. using SSH login as admin and ....

sudo vi etc/rc.local

add this line to that file ad save it

mount --bind /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/data/livtv/recordings /volume1/Emby/recordings

by saving this your recordings folder will be mounted for all the users with permission.

you can also use task scheduler with the same mount command which might be easier for you if you are not familiar with command lines

5c8406c13399e_ScreenShot.png

Edited by opty
  • Like 1

Thank you @@opty I used the FTP which is working just fine. I will most likely mount the path like you posted later on.. Thank you very much!!!

solabc16

Hello @@Pain

Some good ideas above, although I would personally recommend a different approach and keep your activities within DSM.

You can change the default recording path at Emby -> Manage Server -> Live TV -> DVR.

The basic principles detailed in the initial setup guide will be useful here as well : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Setting-Up-Your-Media-Library-Share

Create a directory for your recordings, as you would when using your NAS for any other purpose, then grant the correct permissions to 'embysvr' and share as needed.

If you need any further guidance, just let me know.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

Thank you. I was wondering if changing the default recording path will cause the user to loose watch history and things like that? (not sure of the word). Thanks

solabc16

Hello @@Pain

These directories are only used for the recordings themselves, let us know if you need any further help with the setup, as described above.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

Np, mine is my first NAS and I'm still learning also.  So hopefully this won't be too much of the blind leading the blind :)

The best file explorer type program I've seen that will allow you to navigate and see all folders from Windows is WinSCP.

https://winscp.net/eng/index.php

After downloading WinSCP enable SSH on the NAS

Control Panel

Terminal & SNMP

Terminal Tab

Check Enable SSH

Then you can install/start WinSCP and configure your login

File Protocol is SCP

Use Hostname and SSH port from NAS

For the username I would use one with admin privileges on your NAS

WinSCP default has two panes.  One side is your Windows box, the other is the NAS.  You should be able to move your recordings around from any folder on your NAS, or drag them to your Windows machine 

If you need any more detailed instructions on setting up WinSCP let me know

I was going to move the files to a shared folder. Copy them to my desktop then upload to the Synology shared folder, but the download speed is less then 1mg.  WinSCP starts out transferring the files at 50mps then drops fast to under 1mbs. It will take days to weeks to months to transfer.

Enabling compression found here in WinSCP gave me some speed back. I can download now at 14+ MBs. Its faster but not fast enough.. I believe its a encryption issue because when downloading using WinSCP the Synology CPU jumps to just over 50%

@@Pain

there is no reason to move the files!

try to mount it and be done in less than a min. you have nothing to gain by moving the files and nothing to lose by just creating a mount point like i showed you it is the best way out with no pain :wub::D

• Like 1

solabc16

Hello @@Pain

The reason I make my recommendation above, is that this is guaranteed to continue working across any updates as it depends on base DSM capability.

I'm not clear what you're trying to do with WinSCP though.

If you want to move existing recordings, then this can be done directly as a one off from an SSH session and will only take a few seconds.

Let us know if you need any further guidance.

Best

- James

Thanks for the info.. I ended up moving the files to a new folder using WinSCP.. Thanks

solabc16

Thanks for the update @@Pain, have you got everything working as you'd like it now?

I'm sure this will be a useful thread for other users.

Best

- James

Yes I copied the TV Shows using WinSCP to a new directory MyEmbyMedia where I have all my user shared folders.

Now I'm all setup with a TV folder for me and another family member. We just need the option to save recorded shows to that users own profile recorded TV folder. Then I can die a peaceful man. Right now I have it setup so one user (My Brother) can record TV shows and only he can see the recorded shows. For now my wife and I have our own TV shows folder that only we can see, then I use Usenet with Sonarr and SABnzbd to download TV shows for us.. It would be a nice feature to give users the ability to record shows to there own private recorded TV folder.

Thanks for all the help

Pain

solabc16

Hello @@Pain

Thanks for the update, this is an interesting idea...

It would be a nice feature to give users the ability to record shows to there own private recorded TV folder.

...it'd need a little bit of wrangling behind the scenes, but is the same underlying reason why people ask if they can run multiple instances of Emby Server.

Best

- James

...it'd need a little bit of wrangling behind the scenes, but is the same underlying reason why people ask if they can run multiple instances of Emby Server.

That would be awesome having the option to allow users able to record to their own directory. 100%

I have no idea how to ensure the filesystem is mounted. How do I go about that can you point me in the direction of a guide or provide instructions if you are able?

Hi there, what is the goal you are trying to accomplish?