SD-AVI files stutter after 3:30 to 3:45 minutes / App crashes...

bunkertor7

bunkertor7

Hi there!

I use the latest Emby server on Windows 10 and access my library via FireTV Sticks (latest non-4K generation) and the Emby app from FireTV store.

Playback of 1080p mkv/mp4 files works absolutely flawless - but when it comes to SD resolution avi files I get the same error with all my sticks: after 3:30 minutes or max. 3:45 minutes the video stutters. First just slightly, then with a second's pause - then the picture freezes completely and the app crashes.

When I press the "back" button on the remote within the first few stutters, it takes me back to the episode screen. There I can hit play again an the video will continue smoothly - but only for the next 3:30 to 3:45 minutes.

I tried to limit the video quality via app settings to 1MBit/s which extends the smooth playback to about 8 minutes - until the stuttering begins.

Anyone here who experienced similar behavior - and maybe an idea or fix?

I also tried the "convert" feature - but this just uses one audio track and deletes all the others. So it is useless for me, as in most cases I need the second language track.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any ideas!

mastrmind11

convert the files to mkv using handbrake or mkvtoolnix or the like.

bunkertor7

convert the files to mkv using handbrake or mkvtoolnix or the like.

Thanks for the tip - this might be feasible with a few files. But converting hundreds of episodes from different seasons and shows? I don't think so... (especially when those files played without problems on my old NAS and Plex)

mastrmind11

I mean, you can batch the job and just let it run.  Not like you have to sit there and watch it go.  YMMV

bunkertor7

Hi.  Can we see the server and ffmpeg logs from one of these instances?

Are you sure your server isn't running out of disc space or something like that?

How to Report a Problem

Sorry for my delayed answer - I was on the road and had no access to my server. Please find the server log attached. Disk space should not be the problem.

I did some more testing and it seems like all of my .avi files have this problem. I then stopped the Emby server and loaded the old PLEX server - and all those files played back smoothly without problems.

I also did a test conversion of a stuttering movie file via Emby's "Convert" feature - this file also played back without problems. (Renaming and moving the converted file worked now - I noticed that the integrated Windows Randsomware Feature was active. Shame on me!)

Thanks for looking into it!

Edited by bunkertor7

bunkertor7

I mean, you can batch the job and just let it run.  Not like you have to sit there and watch it go.  YMMV

Yes, that's true. But most of my files have two audio tracks - and currently the auto-convert features kills all audio tracks but the first. So unfortunately this is not an option for me.

bunkertor7

what happens if you just rename the file to mkv?

Ha, nice idea! :D I'll try it later and will report back...

Hi.  You did not include the ffmpeg log.

However, I will say that .AVI is a very troublesome (and outdated :)) container.

bunkertor7

Hi.  You did not include the ffmpeg log.

However, I will say that .AVI is a very troublesome (and outdated :)) container.

Aaahh, darn! I took the largest log an thought this might contain everything.^^ I'll check mastermind11's suggestion and might then post a new log. Thanks!

bunkertor7

So, I started an .avi file and it stuttered as expected. Renamed it then to .mkv - but same result. Starts stuttering at the same point.

Attached a new server as well as ffmpeg log.

emby.zip

Yea you can't rename avi to mkv, or at least you shouldn't. It's still an avi even if you do that.

bunkertor7

What happens if you use a tool to properly change the container?

I haven't tested this, yet. But as I won't be able to do this to all my files, I think it's not the solution for me. Seems like I have to find a workaround. But thanks again for all the help and input!