Multi episode files

MulziSAW

MulziSAW

Hello!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find an answer yet...

I have some really weird multi episode files, like: 

series - 2x02 - 2x10 - title1 - title2.mp4

Inside this file, there is episode 02 and 10. But when importing such a file into emby, it shows all episodes between 02 and 10.

Is there a way to tell emby that there are just two episodes inside and not 9?

Thanks for your help!

Mulzi

HI, currently no there isn't. You could remove the ending episode number in the metadata editor so that it is just 2x02, but there is no way to have it combine those two out of sequence. thanks.

rbjtech

Split the .mp4 into the correct files ..  ;)

1)ffmpeg -i "series - 2x02 - 2x10 - title1 - title2.mp4" -ss 00:00 -t 20:00 -vcodec copy -acodec copy "series - 2x02 - title1.mp4"

2)ffmpeg -i "series - 2x02 - 2x10 - title1 - title2.mp4" -ss 30:00 -t 20:00 -vcodec copy -acodec copy "series - 2x10 - title2.mp4"

.. where 00:00 is the start of the video, 20:00 is the duration to copy - obviously put the correct start times in here .. :P

ps - It does a direct copy, so no quality is lost.  

Edited by rbjtech

Deathsquirrel

1)ffmpeg -i "series - 2x02 - 2x10 - title1 - title2.mp4" -ss 00:00 -t 20:00 -vcodec copy -acodec copy "series - 2x02 - title1.mp4"

2)ffmpeg -i "series - 2x02 - 2x10 - title1 - title2.mp4" -ss 30:00 -t 20:00 -vcodec copy -acodec copy "series - 2x10 - title2.mp4"

.. where 00:00 is the start of the video, 20:00 is the duration to copy - obviously put the correct start times in here .. :P

Or, if the video already has the relevant chapter marks, use MKVToolnix to split at the chapter that marks the second episode.

MulziSAW

HI, currently no there isn't. You could remove the ending episode number in the metadata editor so that it is just 2x02, but there is no way to have it combine those two out of sequence. thanks.

Hey Luke, thanks for answering! I assumed that there is currently no way to achieve this. But maybe with an future update? Guess this shouldn't be so complicated to implement.

rbjtech, That was planed as the alternative if my first approach isn't working. But there are a lot of video files and it's just a kids tv show - so I didn't want to put that much effort into it  ;)

crusher11

Why would it not be complicated to implement? Emby has no way of knowing when episode two ends and episode ten begins, for starters.

MulziSAW

Why would it not be complicated to implement? Emby has no way of knowing when episode two ends and episode ten begins, for starters.

That's not what I meant. I was talking about emby knowing the differences between 2x02 and 2x10 / 2x02 till 2x10, e.g.

series - 2x02 2x10.ext  --> two episodes (2,10)
series - 2x02 - 2x10.ext  --> nine episodes (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)

But that isn't crucial because I agree with rbjtech, that it's way better to split such files.

Edited by MulziSAW

crusher11

But assuming it does know the difference - and you'd have to code a completely new filename rule to do that - what can it do with that information?

Hey Luke, thanks for answering! I assumed that there is currently no way to achieve this. But maybe with an future update? Guess this shouldn't be so complicated to implement.

rbjtech, That was planed as the alternative if my first approach isn't working. But there are a lot of video files and it's just a kids tv show - so I didn't want to put that much effort into it  ;)

It's not that easy actually as our database isn't designed to hold random pairings for a single file. The most practical solution would be to just split the file into two pieces.