Images when fast forwarding?

pcm2a

If there is a guide for this already then please point me to it. I have enabled chapter extraction and then ran the scheduled tasks on my recorded shows. It created chapter images every 5 minutes which I can see when looking at the show in the web client.

1. Where are these images being stored? I checked in the folder with the recorded show but did not see any images or .bif file.

2. How does one get the images to show up when the show is skipped forward or back? I tried fast forwarding on the Roku and Android TV client.

It seems like there would need to be a lot more images than every 5 minutes in order to get that "Netflix" look. I must have missed something...

1. Where are these images being stored? I checked in the folder with the recorded show but did not see any images or .bif file.

Under the server's metadata folder.

Bif files are created with the Roku thumbnail plugin. It is only used by Roku at the moment but we plan to bring the feature to all apps in the near future. thanks.

So if I see chapter images for a show and I am using a Roku then I should be seeing some thumbnails (which I am not seeing on a Roku 4)? Maybe there is some additional task that I have to wait for it to run on Emby?

Edited by pcm2a

So if I see chapter images for a show and I am using a Roku then I should be seeing some thumbnails 

No, chapter images are different.  You have to install the Roku thumbnail plug-in.

Some apps have chapter pickers within the video player. But the two features are about to be unified.

I was able to install the plugin and it generated the Roku thumbnails. Skipping forward in the shows is incredible! However, I do have a few questions...

1. I found the chapter images in /content/metadata/library. When are these cleaned up if I remove a show?

2. Where are the roku images stored? I searched the entire filesystem for .jpg and didn't see any folders with a million images. I want to see what kind of space this is taking up.

3. I have 6 total shows in my library and the roku scan took 1 hour and 53 minutes on my Synology DS216+. Is almost 2 hours a normal time for 6 shows? If I had 100 shows I guess it would take many days...

During the library scan, the server's metadata folder, and yes it can take a long time.

Thanks, I found them. I want to keep an eye on it and see if this metadata folder gets cleaned up.

/config/metadata # du -sh -- * | sort -r
8.6M	livetv
41.4M	library
0	views
/config/metadata/library # ls -ltR | grep index.bif
-rw-r--r--    1 1026     bin        3731019 Mar  7 07:37 index.bif
-rw-r--r--    1 1026     bin        3841011 Mar  7 07:14 index.bif
-rw-r--r--    1 1026     bin        2685292 Mar  7 06:13 index.bif
-rw-r--r--    1 1026     bin        3661824 Mar  7 06:48 index.bif
-rw-r--r--    1 1026     bin        2629324 Mar  7 06:25 index.bif
-rw-r--r--    1 1026     bin        4643509 Mar  7 05:58 index.bif
Edited by pcm2a

Will Emby read the bif files from any other location, like in the folder where the show is? For example if I had a more powerful machine generate the bif files (separate from Emby).

Thanks! I see the option in the settings to have them generated and placed in the media folder. How can I change over to this method?

Tried:

1. Check and save setting

2. Run scheduled job, took 0 seconds probably because it knows the bif files exist in the metadata?

If I manually erase the bif files would that make it create them again?

Right now you can't easily do this. You'd have to locate the bif in the server metadata folder and delete it. 

I can find and erase all of the bif folders, since there is only 6 it won't be a pain. That will be enough to allow the refresh? Meaning there isn't some database that will still think they are created.

I removed the bif folders, ran the task and it generated them in the media folders. Perfect! I can't wait to see if the scheduled job runs tonight, I have 2 new shows ready to go.