Best way to play movies on lg

skank

skank

I see theres an app in the lg store, but i also read about screenplay

which is the best way?

i'm currently on plex, but i run into issues there, its buffering as soon as i put on subtitles (then it transcodes...)

movies are on unraid server

Will this be the same with emby or is it better?

i dont want it to transcode..

i only need transcode to ipad and/or google chromecast

thx for the help

rbjtech

I see theres an app in the lg store, but i also read about screenplay

which is the best way?

i'm currently on plex, but i run into issues there, its buffering as soon as i put on subtitles (then it transcodes...)

movies are on unraid server

Will this be the same with emby or is it better?

i dont want it to transcode..

i only need transcode to ipad and/or google chromecast

thx for the help

If you use external subtitles (.srt file - named identical to the original media file) then the LG WebOS will play the media naively without needing to transcode.

If other subtitles are also in the media container, then make you you select just the external one.  (get it from subscene etc)

Depending on the source,  there may be no need to transcode to ipad or chromecast either - sticking to h264 and AAC for sound generally means no transcoding is necessary on any device and they generally all support external subs.

Edited by rbjtech

macnb

If you use external subtitles (.srt file - named identical to the original media file) then the LG WebOS will play the media naively without needing to transcode.

If other subtitles are also in the media container, then make you you select just the external one.  (get it from subscene etc)

Depending on the source,  there may be no need to transcode to ipad or chromecast either - sticking to h264 and AAC for sound generally means no transcoding is necessary on any device and they generally all support external subs.

Emby Server has a nice option to automatically download .SRT subtitles from https://www.opensubtitles.org if you register on that site with username and password.

Then in Emby Server settings, you tell Emby to use that username and password and it will fetch the most appropriate subtitle file for your movie during the library scan.

You can choose to put that file in the same folder as the movie file and if you do that, then the SRT filename will be the_movie_name.en.srt for English language for example.

One slight problem is when you come to select the subtitle in the Emby App on the TV.

If the movie has several subtitles in the same language (e.g with SDH and without SDH) then the Emby App will just list several "Eng" (for English) subtitles.

Some can embedded PGS and some can be  embedded & external SRT and you will not know which type is which.

If you happen to select the "wrong" one i.e. PGS then it will transcode the whole movie.

What I do is keep the SRT file in the same folder as the movie but I rename it to the_movie_name.en.externel.srt. Now when I come to play the movie and select the subtitle to use, Emby App will list all the available subtitles but the one with .external.srt will be listed as "External". So the Users (family) have been "trained" to "...just select External before you play the movie". That avoids any transcoding. 

Of course, in the ideal world you will not have to worry about which subtitle to choose because in the ideal world, the server will be so powerful that you will not notice any transcoding delays on the TV. Unfortunately, in the real world, such servers are expensive and I am limited to a humble HP N40L micro server which is ideal for severing files but not for transcoding.

awdspyder

Of course, in the ideal world you will not have to worry about which subtitle to choose because in the ideal world, the server will be so powerful that you will not notice any transcoding delays on the TV...

Actually, in an ideal world, my $2000+ OLED TV would be able to deal with PGS subtitles as well as a $40 Blu-ray player from Walmart...  :P

macnb

Actually, in an ideal world, my $2000+ OLED TV would be able to deal with PGS subtitles as well as a $40 Blu-ray player from Walmart...  :P

Ah but....if the TV's played PGS, then they would not be able to sell those $40 players  :P