Subtitles spacing does not reset (Roku Captions)

cpschentke

cpschentke

Hi All

So when watching content like Anime where subtitles are extracted and then nativity controlled by the Roku player. 

What occurs is for example:

1 line of text at the bottom of the screen will display and everything is normal.
But if the subtitle text contains two lines, the next time its only a single line again its spacing is where the second line was, so in a nutshell the subtitle text slowly crawls into the middle of the display dependant on the amount of subtitle lines of the previous content. it doesn't reset to where is suppose to be for example 1 line should appear at the bottom of the display but instead if I have had a subtitle that was 4 lines, the next time a single line subtitle is displayed its where the last subtitle content appeared.

If i force transcode it will burn the subtitles in and then the subtitles are perfect.

This is true for EMBY RELEASE AND BETA channel.

I have linked the media info.

post-390924-0-57656800-1551720504_thumb.png

Is this an EMBY issue or is this a ROKU problem ?

As can be seen from the screenshots 

post-390924-0-22637700-1551722597_thumb.jpg

Subtitles all good

post-390924-0-71784100-1551722605_thumb.jpg

Second line spacing

post-390924-0-02343100-1551722614_thumb.jpg

Eventually moves up so high its in the middle of the screen basically

Edited by cpschentke

Hi, the problem is that Roku does support .ASS subtitles, but the Roku video player can only render them in basic plain text. So that means we have to choose between two options - let Roku direct play them, or force transcoding. Since most users like to avoid transcoding as much as possible, that's why we allow Roku to try and play them.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

cpschentke

Hi, the problem is that Roku does support .ASS subtitles, but the Roku video player can only render them in basic plain text. So that means we have to choose between two options - let Roku direct play them, or force transcoding. Since most users like to avoid transcoding as much as possible, that's why we allow Roku to try and play them.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

I dont mind the fact that roku tries to play them but it doesnt reset the spacing due to new text line as you can see the subtitles keep crawling up.

I dont want force transcode all my media, is there anyway to force transcode only 1 library like anime?

cpschentke

At the moment what im doing which isnt ideal but i can live with it, is play the video and then got to the advance menu option and play back correction, this then force transcodes and the subtitles are burnt in.

I dont mind the fact that roku tries to play them but it doesnt reset the spacing due to new text line as you can see the subtitles keep crawling up.

I dont want force transcode all my media, is there anyway to force transcode only 1 library like anime?

I understand and I apologize, but the Roku video player is rendering the subtitles. It's not something we can control.

What type of subtitles are these? They might be SSA/AAS subtitles and unfortunately Roku munges these. The change Roku makes is to strip every bit of formatting/styling/color/etc out of them and basically reduce them to SRT style text only. You can try to use the Roku caption menu in settings on your Roku homescreen. You can change quite a few things that affect how subtitles are rendered on your Roku.

The playback correction will understand to transcode. When doing so the server will see the SSA/AAS subtitles and then do them justice rather than let the Roku munge them. I apologize. There is little else we can do here as Roku limits what developers have access to regarding subtitle placement/styling. Developers get the same access to the caption settings the user does within the Roku settings. So you can change these yourself with no need for us to do it if this works. But it likely doesn't as I don't see a way to change translation [X,Y] placements before subtitles are layered over the video. I wish there was something more we could do but we have exhausted every avenue.

cpschentke

What type of subtitles are these? They might be SSA/AAS subtitles and unfortunately Roku munges these. The change Roku makes is to strip every bit of formatting/styling/color/etc out of them and basically reduce them to SRT style text only. You can try to use the Roku caption menu in settings on your Roku homescreen. You can change quite a few things that affect how subtitles are rendered on your Roku.

The playback correction will understand to transcode. When doing so the server will see the SSA/AAS subtitles and then do them justice rather than let the Roku munge them. I apologize. There is little else we can do here as Roku limits what developers have access to regarding subtitle placement/styling. Developers get the same access to the caption settings the user does within the Roku settings. So you can change these yourself with no need for us to do it if this works. But it likely doesn't as I don't see a way to change translation [X,Y] placements before subtitles are layered over the video. I wish there was something more we could do but we have exhausted every avenue.

Yeah, the plain text is fine, i have no issue with that its the fact that the X:Y position is up in the air, but not problem, ill just transcode my anime, the rest works perfectly.

Not sure if this is possible but is there a way to force transcode media without have to set the Bitrate below the media content?

Maybe have a solid option to flag content to always transcode or a library?

You can use the Video Player OSD and the 3-slider icon to bring up the playback menu. Then choose playback corection until it finally settles on transcoding. If the item can direct play after this is directstream/remux, then transcode. So it might take 2 presses of playback correction to get a transcode. This would be like stick shifting in a manual transmission. The way to do this automatically is like you found and set the bitrate below the bitrate of the item. Right now on the app side this is the only way.

You need to make a feature request in that section of the forum for the server. Then ask to add a setting to have a library always transcode. Then describe exactly how that would work and flesh it out some. Try to make it so we can see through your eyes in text what you want. Act like we are 5 years old when you describe things. This makes it clearer how you expect features to work when you request them. Others can then like your post in the request thread. This gives it a +1. The more users agree like the first post of your thread and the higher this gets shows to Emby what users are wanting most. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

cpschentke

You can use the Video Player OSD and the 3-slider icon to bring up the playback menu. Then choose playback corection until it finally settles on transcoding. If the item can direct play after this is directstream/remux, then transcode. So it might take 2 presses of playback correction to get a transcode. This would be like stick shifting in a manual transmission. The way to do this automatically is like you found and set the bitrate below the bitrate of the item. Right now on the app side this is the only way.

You need to make a feature request in that section of the forum for the server. Then ask to add a setting to have a library always transcode. Then describe exactly how that would work and flesh it out some. Try to make it so we can see through your eyes in text what you want. Act like we are 5 years old when you describe things. This makes it clearer how you expect features to work when you request them. Others can then like your post in the request thread. This gives it a +1. The more users agree like the first post of your thread and the higher this gets shows to Emby what users are wanting most. Thanks. :)

Riddle me this, 

In the web interface i have three options, under subtitles if i click the user icon i can specify which type of subtitles to burn, auto, image formats or All and in the transcode section i have the option to uncheck allow subtitle extraction, these options if specified should force transcode media matching that criteria. 

But if I specify burn all format and unchecked subtitle extraction , Roku still plays ASS as captions.

Also did you read the help text regarding the server setting? Why do you feel that is even related?