Profile for XBMC? (direct play everything?)

aperry

aperry

Hi all, 

Is there a guide for creating DLNA profiles?  I looked in the knowledge base area of the forum but I couldn't find anything.  I know this is newer functionality, so I'm not surprised if there isn't much documentation yet.  

I'm interested in creating a profile that would allow me to "direct play" media to my Windows-based XBMC.  XBMC is capable of rendering that I would possibly have in my collection, so I'm hoping to create a profile that tells MB3 that this DLNA server supports everything and there's no need to transcode.  I love the MB3 web UI and would like to use it as something of a remote control for XBMC.  Though I don't see much discussion about XBMC in this area, so maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way!

It seems like I could take a profile from a similar device that can play everything (like the WDTV Live) and copy it and adjust the identification to match XBMC.  But I have no idea what is "required" in these fields and how to determine things like the correct identification string.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

aperry

In case this helps anyone:  I guess I thought it would be more difficult than it was.  I created a custom profile with the following values and it seems to be working well (logs show that it recognizes the profile, and FFMPEG never starts during playback):

All defaults except --

Name: XBMC

Friendly Name: XBMC

Model Name: XBMC

I added dts and ac3 to the audio settings of the direct play tab, and mkv to the video settings (of direct play tab)

I deleted both audio and video from the transcoding tab

That was it.  I have no idea which parts of this are actually necessary because it just seemed to work on my first try, and so far I've only tested with a couple of MKVs.  But it seems to work well so far.

My DLNA playback controls are *not* working through the web UI, but maybe that's because I'm running on dev builds.  The basic playback controls seem to work fine using XBMC.

• Like 2

Nice work. Once you get that perfected, let me know and we can include it in a future release.

• Like 1

aperry

Sure thing.  I'll keep adding values to the direct play audio/video settings to see how it works.  It would be helpful if there were a global list somewhere, but maybe I'll just steal them from the WDTV Live profile.  I don't have a ton of different media types to test with, but I'll keep playing around with it and I'll let you know if it continues to work smoothly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
cracksloth

I'm in a similar situation and would love to keep transcoding to a minimum since XBMC has native support for the formats I play.  I am curious as to how well this works and how it compares to using XBMBC3.  Any thoughts or updates?

Well it's your chance to contribute. If someone can build the profile, we'll include it in a future server release.