Pressing up direction action during playback

dranderson402

dranderson402

I noticed since the last android tv app update that pressing the up direction during playback displays scenes. This seems backward. Other apps I use, prime, Netflix, philo and others all display show info with playback controls. Pressing down would would display scenes or other info if there was any other info.

Any reason why we can't make up display info or playback controls as down does now? Then make down display scenes?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CBers

I noticed since the last android tv app update that pressing the up direction during playback displays scenes. This seems backward. Other apps I use, prime, Netflix, philo and others all display show info with playback controls. Pressing down would would display scenes or other info if there was any other info.

Any reason why we can't make up display info or playback controls as down does now? Then make down display scenes?

That's the way it has evolved over the years and everyone is now used to it working that way.

There is another request for a double UP (UP, UP) to auto play the selected scene.

dranderson402

When did it evolve to this? I just noticed this change in the last update that came out a month or so ago.

Prior to that update I always pressed up to see how much time was remaining. Since this update I now get scenes.

Either way I would think it would be more uniform to act like other apps in general, but if this is the way I'll get used to it. Even though I find myself pressing up in every other app.

• Like 1

Hi.  Can you give examples of other apps that behave the way you were expecting?

Thanks.

dranderson402

Hi. Can you give examples of other apps that behave the way you were expecting?

Thanks.

This is on shield tv. Amazon prime, press up and see playback controls where you can see total length of show and where you are.

Philo tv, up arrow shows playback controls with time remaining. Netflix also shows timeline with time remaining. Hulu up also shows timeline with time remaining.

This is also the same behavior I see when using my fire tv with the same apps.

I have a roku but don't use it and it's not hooked up right now so can't say how it acts.

This is on shield tv. Amazon prime, press up and see playback controls where you can see total length of show and where you are.

Philo tv, up arrow shows playback controls with time remaining. Netflix also shows timeline with time remaining. Hulu up also shows timeline with time remaining.

This is also the same behavior I see when using my fire tv with the same apps.

I have a roku but don't use it and it's not hooked up right now so can't say how it acts.

Okay, I understand that because those playback controls are the only thing those apps provide, correct?

I was more interested in  your statement that other apps had chapters appear when you pressed "down".  Are there examples of that?

Thanks.

Spaceboy

to me it seems intuitive to press down to get the osd which is at the bottom of the screen.

Also chapters being UP has been that way for a long time. not sure how you only just noticed it

• Like 2

dranderson402

to me it seems intuitive to press down to get the osd which is at the bottom of the screen.

Also chapters being UP has been that way for a long time. not sure how you only just noticed it

Honestly, I've always pressed up to get the timeline. I use it daily and noticed the change when the last big update for the android tv app came out a month or so ago.

Really doesn't matter. I was just wondering why the change. I've always pressed up for the timeline in every app I've used for the past 3 years. I can get used to pressing down as what you said does make sense. The timeline is displayed at the bottom of the screen so why not press down

It all comes down to my habit of pressing up and assuming that's the common way. But I know not all apps can map the same buttons to the same functions across all platforms and I'm ok with that. Things evolve.

To answer ebr's question, no, I do not know of an app that shows scenes when pressing up or down. And since your question made me try up and down in all the apps I use, I noticed all but Philo give me the timeline when pressing down. So given what spaceboy said about pressing down for the timeline since it's displayed at the bottom, I just need to change my habit. Being my habit was pressing up is why I questioned it and wondered if it could be changed.

• Like 1