Can you help me migrate to a portable version please?

Birdy110

Birdy110

After using another server and struggling to use it as I like I switched to Emby and I love it! So it's going to be

my only server from now. I have used the online installer to set it up on my windows 10 and now that everything

is as I want I got my new PC ! I want to know if I can backup my data (settings and libraries) so I can move them

to the new pc and if it's possible to create and have a portable version of emby that keeps everything in its own

folder and easy to move?

Happy2Play

Technically the Emby-Server folder is portable, but a new machine may mean new library paths depending on your setup.

Correct, you could just move the existing install folder if you really want to. Keep in mind if you move it to a place where the server doesn't have write access to, then there will be problems.

Birdy110

Thanks for your reply guys. So what I need to do is first install emby on the new PC and let it install to it's default folders

as I did on this pc. Then before running the server replace

C:\Users\Elite\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
C:\Users\Elite\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system

And before doing so I make sure I have updated version of Emby on old pc so all system files that are going to be copied

to new PC are the same!

Do you think this will work?

Edited by Birdy110

Maybe. It depends on how old the installation is on the old PC, in other words, when you originally installed it. 

Birdy110

The migration was much easier then what I expected. My problem was using the default Emby installer that is proposed

on the main page. This time I downloaded the latest build from github and all went smooth. I created a folder called Emby

and extracted the system folder in there. Then copied the old programdata folder from my C drive to the same D:\Emby

and voila! all was working like before.

My only question is: If one of your shared folders move to a different path, is there a file in Emby Dir that you can edit and

modify (Update) the path ?

Happy2Play

If the folder attached to a Library changes you will want to remove and re-add that folder.  This will/can cause issues to items that are assigned to a Collection as the item path in the collection.xml is no longer valid.

Birdy110

What do you mean by shared folder?

The folder with movies that I have added to my library. Lets say I have G:\Movies and I added that as movies library in Emby.

If on new PC this folder goes in G:\Shared\Movies   or  simply to H:\Movies, is there anyway to fix paths and not re-scan all?

Happy2Play

Only if you are good with manually making these changes directly in the database, then the collection.xmls and the library paths in \programdata\root\default\libraryname\contenttype.mblink

Birdy110

Thank a lot Happy2Play,

Tried and worked easy. Your help has been priceless :) I am so happy I tried emby as you can't believe the time I wasted

trying to configure and setup Plex the way I have Emby working!