Emby Server - Premiere needs to be online?

CVXDEV

CVXDEV

Hi all,

I have a few questions related to Emby Server / Emby Premiere functionalties and if there is a requirement of being online (constantly)?
In my set-up, ideally the server is not (constantly) online - I have a Emby Premiere monthly subscription.
I understand that for the initial registration/code verification the Server needs to be online and then after each month to check the renewal.

• how often does the server check that the premiere subscription is valid? How often does the server need to be online?
  • does it still check/verify the code if i have a lifetime subscription?
  • to use the emby-app on my iPhone, does the server need to be online? Today i stumbled on this, I wanted to stream a movie within my local WiFi and when hitting the play button, it tells me that I need to unlock the functionality? I tested it on the Android app, and there is no request for feature unlock
  • I streamed the movie via the normal browser = no problem (which is understandable if no premiere functions are needed). Only "flaw" I found due to testing, for example if i would play a 4k movie the server dashboard would tell me that it direct streams, even though the device does not support 4K (and the phone doesn't play anything obviously or loads forever). I understand that transcoding is a Premiere function - but is permanent internet connection needed?

I would like to understand the set-up/process of Emby Premiere and the need of having an Internet connection.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: I run my emby server on Ubuntu via a LAN-Network with WAP

Edited by CVXDEV

mastrmind11

The server will phone home once every couple of weeks to verify your premiere status.

• 2 weeks later...
CVXDEV

Thanks for your feedback mastrmind11 - can you or the admins define a bit more what "every couple of weeks" means? And if it's still the case for the lifetime subscription?

Hi.  It depends on your subscription level.  A monthly subscription will need to check in about once a week.  Lifetime keys are allowed to go for a few weeks.

CVXDEV

Hi.  It depends on your subscription level.  A monthly subscription will need to check in about once a week.  Lifetime keys are allowed to go for a few weeks.

Thanks, that helps already a bit.

For both cases, is the subscription checked/confirmed automatically everytime the system get's an internet connection or does it follow a "fixed" interval for checking? (Meaning: check every Friday at 2pm, and if there is no internet connection at this point, the premiere functionalities are disabled)?

It checks at least once per day.   So, if your connection goes down on any given day, you should have the full cache period (less perhaps 24 hours) until it must successfully check again.

ember1205

This is good information to have.

Why does a lifetime subscription require periodic checkin's at all? I don't like allowing ANY of my systems to auto-poll the Internet unless it's absolutely necessary.

Why does a lifetime subscription require periodic checkin's at all? I don't like allowing ANY of my systems to auto-poll the Internet unless it's absolutely necessary.

For a number of reasons but the short answer is "because people like to steal stuff" :).