Problem with TV Shows that are in separate folders

jsc1205

jsc1205

I have 3 tv shows that I had to spread out onto 2 different drives because of space.  For example season 1 is on one drive and season 2 on the other.  For some reason, Emby is separating them out on the main TV Show window.  I do not have this issue when using Plex or Kodi since it scrapes both folders into one show.  BOTH folders are named the exact same so there should be no reason why Emby is separating the show.

Any ideas why this is happening??

jsc1205

For example, I have a TV show that has 4 seasons. The first 2 seasons are one Volume 1 in my Nas and season 2 is on Volume 2. Both folders are set up the same way in both volumes; TV Shows/ShowName/Season XX/s01e01

What Emby is doing is taking the shows from both volumes and scraping them into 2 separate shows. So when I go to TV Shows in Emby I will see 2 posters but it's the same show. For some reason Emby is not seeing that it's the same show and merging everything under one. My only guess is that it's because the seasons are on 2 separate volumes which should not make a difference.

Any idea why this is happening??

Edited by jsc1205

jsc1205

Messed around with this again and still cannot figure out why this is happening.  Its only happening in Emby since Plex or Kodi has no issues

Happy2Play

Do you have the automatically merge series option enabled on that library?

I didn't test separate volumes as I only have one drive in my test machine, but did test separate folders and they were merge into one series after library scan.

jsc1205

Do you have the automatically merge series option enabled on that library?

Yes that is turned on. So not sure why its separating them

Edited by jsc1205

Happy2Play

Since its tv shows, where is that setting located?

Dashboard-Library-the TV Show library-show Advanced setting-Automatically merge series that are spread across multiple folders

Edited by Happy2Play

jsc1205

Yep its not working.  Just made sure its turned on and rescanned the library and 3 shows are separated exactly the way the folders are separated.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Only other thing would be listing exact structure.

Here is what I did and they were merged

Added "C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV separation 1" and "C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV separation 2" folders to a TV Show Library.

C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV separation 1\Quantum Leap\Season 1

S01E01.ext

C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV separation 2\Quantum Leap\Season 2

S02E02.ext

jsc1205

Ok FINALLY got it to work. I had to change the names of the folders (for example testing or something Emby wouldnt scrape) and then change it back.  The rescan the library and POOF it worked.  Have no idea why it did it to just 3 shows??!!

Happy2Play

Ok FINALLY got it to work. I had to change the names of the folders (for example testing or something Emby wouldnt scrape) and then change it back.  The rescan the library and POOF it worked.  Have no idea why it did it to just 3 shows??!!

Sorry can you be specific as this may need to be looked at.  To me it sounds like maybe a folder nesting issue.

CaseyP

I've had a semi similar experience since 4.0...

For example when adding Doom Patrol, auto organize made a folder and put the first episode in that folder.. everything was fine. By the third episode, auto organize had created two folders, 'Doom Patrol' and 'Doom Patrol (2019)' which then created two series in the library and both of them had no episodes/seasons to display.. just an empty series. I have the "Automatically merge series" option off as I don't want duplicates (especially since Emby has no real way of displaying duplicates.. another issue that really needs to be addressed, I shouldnt have to use reports and export to excel just so I can see if I have a duplicate episode, displaying duplicates is a feature Plex has had for years and its quite sad this little feature hasnt been addressed yet, but I digress)

Whats interesting is that once two "shows" are listed in the library, neither shows display any season or episode. Just blank spots where the season and episodes should be. I have to consolidate all the episodes into one folder (an auto organize issue) and then I have to rename whatever folder I chose as the parent of the series.. so if I took all the episodes out of 'Doom Patrol' and moved them into the 'Doom Patrol (2019)' I have to rename the 'Doom Patrol (2019)' folder before emby will list the episodes/season. 

This has now happened with multiple shows, for instance Boston Legal and Boston Legal (2004) were both automatically created and until I manually moved all the episodes into one folder, then renamed that folder and finally Emby recognized the season and episodes. 

I thought at first, maybe the problem was the files of the episodes not matching the root folder, for instance, /Boston Legal/Season 1/Boston Legal (2004) - S01E01 instead not listing the year as its parent folder did.. but that doesn't matter.. you have to rename the parent folder for Emby to properly scan and add it. This was never an issue until 4.0.

I also scan a lot, and did scan between all of my steps of moving files, renaming folders, etc. Something is broken with Emby currently.

In order for the shows to merge they need to have the same set of provider id's - tvdb, imdb, etc.